Does anthing "shock" you anymore?

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
I just heard on TV that on a soon-to-be-broadcast "such and such" show there would be shocking news given.
I just turned it off, thinking that ain'ta gonna happen. Is it just me?
Is there actually anyone left who isn't so jaded that something/anything actually "shocks" them nowadays?

The only thing that shocks me anymore is my electric fence,
ep.gif
& that's just about daily!
th.gif

The only thing that shocks me any more is that they are allowed to call some of this drivel "news".

Ever since the Florida judge ruled that just because a "news" outlet calls something news doesn't mean it has to be true, I figured I was pretty much done.

I have WHAT in my yard? :

The only thing that shocks me any more is that they are allowed to call some of this drivel "news".

Ever since the Florida judge ruled that just because a "news" outlet calls something news doesn't mean it has to be true, I figured I was pretty much done.

Yeah, I'm familiar with that case, but I wouldn't have called it a ... Never mind, you put in quotes.​

I lost the ability to be shocked when I was about 18. That was a very, very long time ago.

I think several different things keep me from being shocked:

I rarely believe that what I see on the internet or other news is true, or the whole truth, or a balanced, unbiased report.
I keep in mind that everything that gets said, there's a motivation behind saying it and a purpose, rather than say, strictly, a 'fact'.
I keep in mind that anyone can create the reality they want by manipulating statistics, by ignoring 'other facts' or by being rabidly committed to some fanatical cause that causes them to be all or partially blind to any other point of view, whether their stance is obviously fanatical or not.
I keep in mind that everyone has something to sell, whether they realize it or not.
I keep in mind that everyone has 'an ulterior motive', basically, themselves and their interests and defending their own choices, even if that means interpreting current events in a completely irrational, non-informed way.
I keep in mind that everyone has fears, ignorances and biases that affect how they interpret what they see (including me and thee).
I keep in mind that people make their choices of who or what they support, based on emotion most of the time, not based on facts they have validated.
I keep in mind that people rarely consider any other point of view, except very briefly, to discard it, make fun of it or shoot it down based on some 'key fact' they are very sure is ironclad and excludes all other facts. People are generally convinced they are right and there is no other 'right' point of view other than theirs.
I keep in mind that when people hear news stories, they make emotional decisions of who is right and who is wrong, and that those decisions are usually exactly what the media wants them to decide.

The old story of the two old Indian woman watching the little boy walk down the path in front of their house, with new varnish on it.

Last edited:
Quote:
I like this. I'll add that "breaking News" almost always has the "facts" wrong. They are in such a hurry to get the news "scoop" they don't worry about accuracy. Responsible people check the facts or watch the whole video before they go public, no matter how much we the people clammer for information or action.

Building on what was said, very few eye witnesses see the same thing even if they are standing side by side and paying attention.

Back
Top Bottom