does any have any bantam ducks???

hehe Just breeds in general. I know Terry R (don't remember her ID here) has the australian spotteds. I'm thinking her website is pooridge ranch or something like that? Silkys and BEI you can get from...er...metzer, I think? Call ducks, too, I believe, but they're pricey.

O.K thanks, I guess I need to read some about them. I might be getting white call duck eggs from graceful bantams.
big_smile.png

Holderreads has some great info on bantam ducks. You might want to look at their site. Bantam ducks also come in appleyard. Holderreads has them for sale but they do not sell eggs. Great site to check out to see which type of bantam duck tickles your fancy!!
big_smile.png

We have the Australian Spotted, and their the neatest little things around! Unfortunately, they don't know they should be laying right now, i haven't gotten an egg yet this season from them.

There are many different types of bantam ducks, the biggest variety is the call ducks though, which come in a VERY wide variety of colors!
I myself raise a few, and I own a bantam call duck yahoo group where there are many others who raise colors I do not even have!

Call ducks as grace mentioned were used by hunters years ago, the females are very vocal, mainly when they see you coming, when mine are ready to be out of the pen, ready for there daily pool change, hungry, or looking for a friend. But they do quack in my opinion more then the larger ducks I have had, Rouens, Indian Runners, Khaki Campbells etc.

The calls are the smaller of the bantam ducks.

Calls come in colors like, Gray, (which many people call "Bantam Call Mallard", which is wrong, its just "Gray Call" who gets the "Mallard" label on them because they are colored just like the wild Mallards.) Dusky, (which is a darker in color Gray), Snowy, Apricot Silver, Buff, Khaki, Penciled, White, Silver, Pastel, Blue Fawn, Self Blue, Blue Bib, Black Bib, Black & White Magpie, Blue & White Magpie, Black, Self Black, Butterscotch, Spot, Fwn & White, Pied, Yellow Belly, Chocolate, Blue Butterscotch,you get the picture there are alot of different call duck colors!

Silky Call Ducks
Black East Indies (pure black, beautiful green sheen!)
Blue East Indies
Aussie Spotted
And others I am not thinking of past midnight!

Good luck on your search, there are ALOT of call breeders out there!

Alabama girl, I don't think I have pics on the website of the Aussies, I don't believe i've even taken any now that you've got me thinking.
roll.png
I am pretty sure the bantams on there are the snowy calls, but the site is blocked here at work and i can't check and see :eek:
I am going to be seeing the breeder we got ours from, this weekend at a show. I can get her email and get it off to you if you'd like, she does have BEAUTIFUL birds, although i'm not sure if she ships, or sells eggs either. I've only encountered her adult pairs.

Quote:
Oh thank you guys for all the knowledge, so it is clear that I definitely do not want a call duck then, can't afford to make the neighbors angry. But do want to get a surprise gift for Dh, all he wanted since he was a child was a duck!! (he's the person who would not have any pets at all but some how beared with my love for the animal kingdom for 11 years ).
So, TerrasCritters, will you please give me the yahoo address or your website.

Last edited:
Not sure if you are interested but I have some silver appleyard call ducklings getting ready to hatch. I got my breeders from Dennis Fuller in Iowa. We also have grey, butterscotch, whites, magpie, chocolates, and snowys. We show our whites, butters, and snowys. Here is our website that is still not finished.

http://www.freewebs.com/kycalls/

Back
Top Bottom