Does any one have mini donkeys I have questions

chickenlittle27

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Licking Missouri
How do you get them tamed down? When we got her she was kinda wild we cant catch her unless she is cornered and I don't like doing that. I was wandering if anyone had any ideas. She is sweet as she can be I think the people that had her first where mean to her now she don't trust anyone. PLEASE HELP !!!

I used to have mini donkeys. I would just sit quietly in the pen with some carrot or something. I wouldn't chase him, just build up trust first.

Yep it just takes time and lots of patience...soon she will beging to trust you and see that you arent going to hurt her. Dont feed sweet feed to her as it wires them up really bad and can founder them and ruin the hooves.
If we feed ours they get only oats and hay in the wonter. Something about the molasses in some feeds that just send them over the edge. Try some carrots or sliced apples as treats or maybe some whole oats and see what happens. Good luck

Just try going in her pasture and sitting. Take a chair and read a book. Wait until she is comfortable with you just being there. If you wait until she approaches you and touches you first, you will have won over her trust. It could take awhile, just be patient, it will be worth it!!

Vicki's words ring true! Donkeys are extremely curious (and intelligent) creatures. If you spend time just hanging out and show her you're not a threat, she'll eventually come over out of curiosity. BE CAREFUL to not bring your hand up quickly to pet her when she comes. In fact, the first couple of times, I wouldn't try to touch her. Just maybe speak softly in a low tone. Let her smell you and check you out first. Carrots are a good idea...you might take some out & put them on the ground maybe 10' from you....when she picks them up, you could say, "Good girl..." again, in a low, SOFT tone...she will then associate something good (eating carrots) with your voice/tone. Oh, you should avoid apples with donkeys. Not good for them.

Here's my favorite picture of one of my mini donks - Leona Sir Helmsley - he's QUITE the character!

Helmsley.jpg

Back
Top Bottom