Does any one know where to get african pygmy geese

yes as stated, any of the pymgy geese, african, Indian, or Australian will have to be bought threw Sylvan Heights, with Mike and Ali Lubbock and are $3000+ per pair depending on the species. As for the bronze wing you asked about earlier there are several breeders with them, aside from the Lubbocks, Mark Hall have quite a few of them. They average $600- $1000 a pair as well though. You have some very good taste in birds, pricey!
If you want Marks contact info, just PM me for it.
I have seen the Lubbocks waterfowl collection many times over the years. NO the pygmys do not need massive pens with huge water. They are a swamp duck, and the Lubbocks had theirs all in small 20 x 20 ish pens, paired privately. Filled heavy with vegetation, logs, stone piles, ect. They big thing for them is heavy cover so they feel secluded. Not a barren, over crowded pen full of aggressive ducks. They will not do well in cases like that. Running water is a plus but is not required, as mentioned they live in swamps, not pristine flowing water conditions like the seaducks do. Of course, that with any duck is best, but it is not a mandatory requirement. Diet and heavy cover will be your biggest concerns to keep right for them.

Like Shawn said though, the Lubbuck's are very busy people, especially this time of year. So unless you are fully prepared, and have cash in hand for a $3000 pr of ducks, just look dont call. They will never take you seriously about them if you call just asking questions with no intent to buy. They are one of the worlds foremost breeders of rare and endangered waterfowl and are used to dealing with the AZA facilities with most of this kind of stuff. So know your stuff, and be prepared when you do talk to them. If they dont feel you are prepared for the birds, they will not sell stuff like that to you, period. Cant blame them, they've spent their entire lives dedicated to breeding these, and in a lot of cases, they are the only ones to get many rare breeds to reproduce in captivity, so just be prepared.
Good luck with everything.

Last edited:
Quote:
If you want small ducks right now there are two species that I know are for sale here and there, the ringed teal and the fulvous ducks. Both are small, the teal is from South America and has no breeding plumage, in other words the males are very attractive all year round. The fulvous ducks are very small ducks from India and are a very pretty brown with white and black spotting on both males and females.
Prices range from $30 to $80 per pair so they are affordable. Both are very good fliers so if you don't have a flight cage I would have them pinioned, if you just clip the wings and they leave they will not come back. Both as far as I know also breed in tree hollows but are common in private collections so they must take raised nest boxes as a substitute. There are some other tropical teals available but since you were just in the looking stage these were what I found with a quick phone call.

Fulvous tree ducks are also from North , Central, and South American, as well as Africa, mainly any tropical climate

Last edited:
Hey there every 1
I am new to this forum and all the way from South Africa
big_smile.png

Hope your all doing well

Hey aldren90
If you can get African pygmy geese get them, they are beautiful birds to keep
I have 2 pairs and they breed every season

welcome-byc.gif
DevSa What do you feed yours? When you can post pics of your birds and their avairy we would love to see them. They are very rare here in the U.S. Me and Aldren are trying to find all we can about them before we try to raise them. Anything and everything you can share with us about yours is greatly welcomed.
smile.png

Me too i would love to see some pics im just trying to make sure here 100% sylvan is the only place in the us that has pygmy geese for sale

Its 100% on the geese. Trust me, Ive been researching them for two years. I have a trio of west-indian or what people call Cuban treeducks. Im sure there are some spotted out there. You do know that the thing now is unless you are going to personally pick the birds up hardly anyone is selling these till this fall cause its breeding season AND getting to hot to ship.

Yup i know i have a friend thats around the age of 13 she was interested in some birds fom sylvan and shes not your ordinary bird collector shes very mature for her age and takes great care of her birds she has ringed teal and woodies she got from me last year and she has a flight pen like mine and a pond and every thing do you think sylvan would sell her birds her parents would be involved of course she has better quality birds care wise and health wise yhan some adults

Back
Top Bottom