Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

well personally, I have used it for years in my flock, along with Safe Guard in rotation, and yes it kills them. a 1 time treatment followed by 3 day treatment of Safe Guard a few days later is all I do. There is always dead worms the day after the ivermectin treatment in the poo so it's definitely killing something. I dont know much about scientific research on the whole topic. But if it kills say round worms in cows, it's going to kill round worms in dogs, cats and yes poultry too.
You do have to be careful not to over dose on the Ivermectin because it is strong. But a 1 time treatment will leave no residual side effects or residue, virtually no withdrawal time, etc etc. No like in the studies posted above, I wouldnt give any wormer to any poultry for 3 weeks straight, sure they will have levels in their system then, 3 weeks, anything would, that's crazy...
As for the Piperazine, yes it works too, but only on large round worms, it kills no other type of parasite, Ivermectin and fenbendazole do....

Reviving an old thread so I can find it again.
smile.png

I am going to add my 2 cents on this topic. I have been using ivermec for years now.
I even do chicks that at least 3 weeks old with no adverse at all. I like using the pour on best. I do use both pour on and the injectable also.
Now I am a poultry tester and do much with drawing blood from chickens for testing. I have found this to be informative when worming with ivermec.
If any of you are like me you are doing this by yourself. I found that trying to do the neck can get time consuming for those of us with large flocks.
What I do (and maybe a help to others) is take the chick or adult and hold in one are lift the wing (for me its the silkies right wing. when you do (lift it high enough and across the back a bit. It will expose the right shoulder just below the hackle area. When that is exposed it is bare (without feathers or very few) drop your drop of ivermec and your off for the next bird. Really really easy and you can see that is went on the skin as where you dropped the drop it turn blacker for a second until its absorbed. So you know you got it on the skin. Hope this helps some of you. cj

Quote:

Yes pour on .. get a syringe and put some in it. then for silkies 1-2 drops. I put it under wing at shoulder socket as there is not feathers there. must be on skin.
two weeks later do it again. This pour on kills larva also that the others don't. But I do the second one to make sure.
I have even done 4 week old chicks with it with no adverse reactions.
I do it with each season change to make sure they stay free of the critters. Especially if its been raining a lot like here this year.

This seems to be a life saving thread. I have been in battle with lice for months now. Seven dust helps but no cure. I have given baths in the summer. Everything helps but nothing totally gets ride of them. Yes I even do a full clean of each and ever coop. Spray down with liquid seven dust and then powder in the bedding.

I will keep you posted on the progress once I get it in the mail. Amazon has the pour on for cheaper than Jeffers.

I want to use this as have been having problems with lice, iv bathed all of my 60 odd chickens in a solution called Barrier red mite Concentrate ( does lice aswell ) and looked at the lice after bathing 2 or so hours after and all were dead ... iv looked again 2 days ago and they seem to have come back, so i got harkers Harka-Mectin ( i applied 3 drops to each chicken ) looked again today and they are still very much alive and in force ...

My question is ... All of mine are L/F Orpingtons .. How much Ivomec Would i need per chicken ???

Sunnydale Hens

Back
Top Bottom