Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

Quote: I'm not saying this to you, but I think that too many people don't understand just how little they are supposed to give and it's quite possible to give a lethal dose. I'll have to do the drop test again and see mow many mg are in a drop from a 1ml syringe. One drop can be quite big, lol.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Nice link fancychook! I actually stumbled across it recently and it was the deciding point that made me give ivermectin a go. Lots of good info compiled in one place and the most important part is right near the bottom.

Environmental Toxicity of Ivermectin

• Ivermectin is highly toxic to fish and extremely toxic to invertebrates. For this reason disposal of ivermectin residues (e.g. in empty containers) in watercourses must be absolutely avoided. There is a certain environmental risk of water pollution from run-off after pour-on administration to large cattle herds. However this risk is substantially lower than the one associated with the use of ivermectin as a crop pesticide.
  • Ivermectin binds strongly to soil particles and is unlikely to contaminate groundwater.
  • Degradation in soil depends on soil type and structure, but also on temperature. At high summer temperatures it is degraded in 1 to 2 weeks, but it can persist for up to one year at low temperatures.
  • Sunlight quickly degrades ivermectin solved in water. Half-life in clear and calm water oscillates between 12 and 40 hours.
  • Ivermectin administered to livestock is partially excreted in the feces and has a negative impact on coprophagous invertebrates (fly larvae, dung beetles, etc.) that feed or breed on dung of cattle or other livestock. Ivermectin in dung kills some invertebrates and/or hampers their development or fertility. However, it has not been demonstrated that it prevents normal dung decomposition and recycling. After decades of massive worldwide use in the livestock industry and numerous investigations, there are no reports on significant environmental problems associated with unrecycled livestock dung after ivermectin

I'm personally able to work around any of those and be satisfied that nothing besides the birds could be harmed. I especially like the last statement.
I gave a more than necessary dose to our birds and no one has died or even once shown to be lethargic, which I was actually surprised about the later part. I'm not pushing ivermectin as a cure all and would warn anyone wanting to use it. I do lead a busy lifestyle but I've certainly never resorted to the quickest fix for a problem. The quickest fix usually proves to be harmful in more ways than one. If I hadn't been so ignorant about these pests I would hope that I could of gotten it under control without having to resort to the ivermectin, but with the infestation that I was faced with I needed to act fast.

I'm all about experiments these days and I mean this in the nicest way possible, really, I do. I'd love if you could do it for me. Next time you find one infested with lice, take pictures, dose it with ivermectin, place it in a dog crate that it can't dust bathe in, then check it daily and write a detailed report on what you observe. Lots of pictures would be great!

-Kathy

Kathy I'm going to have to go and attempt to take a pic of these little buggers..surely they're not dead yet! I don't know how to contain lice in a dog crate but I'll sure try...hahahaha

That is odd. Makes my point for me about all the conflicting info. Either that or its a typo and should say lice
big_smile.png
... doubtful though as it specifically names the mites.
However, their use of the term "therapeutic dose" could be the difference in the product working or failing.

Again, I think too many people read "just give it x drops" without knowing how much they are giving and what the actual properly documented dose should be. The largest dose I have see recommended for birds is .4mg/kg (.04ml per 2.2 pounds) and that was in:

Everything else I have seen says it's .2mg/kg, same as it is for horses and cows.

-Kathy

Edited to add: Doses mentioned are for 1% ivermectin.

Last edited:
Excellent links Fancychooklady. Your link in post #246 is interesting and I've bookmarked the link.
I've yet to see mites that are resistant to ivermectin, but it doesn't surprise me since poultry owners have overused the product for years, and not for its primary purpose as a wormer.

Back
Top Bottom