Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

Lol. A lady that I know and respect told me the other day that she had lost another 3-4 of her chickens. When I asked her if she had wormed them recently she said that she had been worming them with ivermectin for over 12 months. When I suggested that she change wormers she said " oh no they didn't have worms , the breeder told me that they were dying from some ' wasting ' disease that is apparently quite common in chickens ".
If only people would apply more science and less ' hear say ' to chicken raising.

So true. I've had a handful of people who should know better tell me how they deworm with ivermectin because that's "what they've always done" and because "that's what 'someone' told them"! It just never hurts to take the time to do your own research instead of relying only on what comes down the grapevine!

This morning I noticed a spot on my broody Sizzles head. It looked like she had been pecked. She is in a separate cage. When I got her out and was examining her I discovered its mites. They are red and still on the birds head in the crest. Its always the crest. They are on there all the time not hiding during the day. I treated on the site of the mites with .5cc Ivermectin. I cleaned all the bedding in cage, but the next box and soaked it down with liquid Devin Dust. When that dried put new shavings in and then her and nest box. I will keep you posted on the results.

3 days later and no mites. She looks like a grease head though.

I noticed yesterday that a roo I had taken out of the breeder pens and moved to a hoop coop before I treated my mite/lice problem, is obviously still infested with lice. I'll be dosing him today with Ivermectin to see if perhaps the 50 birds I treated successfully last week was maybe a fluke. The outcome will set in stone for me whether or not ivermectin can kill poultry lice, or at least at the dosage I give.

Sorry for the delay but I forgot I was going to update. The roo was free of lice within 4 days of treating him and they are still nowhere to be seen. I took some pics of the lice that didn't turn out so well but I was able to verify that they were indeed lice.

Be aware that this is my personal experience with ivermectin and it appears that your results may vary... possibly due to regional differences???
I gave .5ml per large fowl of the pour on (5mg per ml) I experienced no deaths in the flock due to this dose nor did any birds exhibit any troubling symptoms.

Day 7 and my hen is mite free with 5 one day old chicks.

I used the injectable. I also treated all the others in the coop she cane out of and had no ill effects.

Last edited:
Good grief...I have read most of this thread to help me decide what to use to deworming my hens and all I got was more confusion. And more when I hit the internet. Not interested it mites and lice, just gapeworms and such. I only have 5 hens and I have been leaning towards ivermectin pour on.....would someone please tell me (a picture would be even better) exactly what product (brand name please) to use?

Good grief...I have read most of this thread to help me decide what to use to deworming my hens and all I got was more confusion. And more when I hit the internet. Not interested it mites and lice, just gapeworms and such. I only have 5 hens and I have been leaning towards ivermectin pour on.....would someone please tell me (a picture would be even better) exactly what product (brand name please) to use?

Gapeworm are rare in chickens. Large roundworms, capillary worms and cecal worms are not rare in chickens. There are two wormers without guesswork whether or not they will kill those types of worms, as well as many other types of worms that chickens can get: Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer and Safeguard liquid goat wormer. Safeguard kills all types of worms except tapeworms. Valbazen kills them all, including flukes. Valbazen slowly kills worms over several days, no need to worry about toxic dead worm overload. No other wormer does that.
aze

Last edited:
Thanks dawg53....now, where to find it? I'll call my feed store when they open but if they don't have it, I'll have to find it online. I tried jeffersvet.com as suggested by someone elsewhere but that's just a compilation page of sites. Is there a better address for "Jeffers"? And should this stuff cost in excess of $40 for 500mL?
Thanks again.

Thanks dawg53....now, where to find it? I'll call my feed store when they open but if they don't have it, I'll have to find it online. I tried jeffersvet.com as suggested by someone elsewhere but that's just a compilation page of sites. Is there a better address for "Jeffers"? And should this stuff cost in excess of $40 for 500mL?
Thanks again.
http://www.jefferspet.com/products/valbazen-broad-spectrum-dewormer
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07949-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

-Kathy

Quote: Thank you Dawg!!! was lurking and checked your link. Perfect for us small flock folks!!! Thanks again
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom