Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

Oh and one other thing. :)

One of the symptoms of Depluming Mites can be seen on the feather itself. If you have ever seen horizontal thin bars on the tail feathers or primaries...looks like very tiny pin holes horizontally across the feather....there may be several of these lines up and down the feather...this is caused from Depluming Mites. These tiny holes cause the feather to be thin and break easily at these places.

Just because you see these lines doesn't mean you have a heavy infestation, but that the bird is having a bit of an over load of these mites. Possibly the bird is sick or weak in some way. Healthy up the bird and at the next molt you shouldn't see these lines appear on the feathers.

Ivermectin is the only treatment for this mite since it is not possible to access them from the outer skin with powders or sprays, being that nearly all of them are up in the feather shafts.

Just some fun facts for you Mite Lovers!! :)
The depluming mite is of the same family as the scaly leg mite (knemidocoptes sp.). Ivermectin has no effect even if you are willing to give a dose toxic enough to your chickens. If a bad outbreak exists Rabon-Vapona or Permethrin, used as a dip or spray depending on the degree of infestation, is far safer and more effective. Lots to read about mites and other parasites here:
http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2540&Itemid=2816

I see no harm in treating with ivermectin as long as the proper doses are used. Interestingly, the link I posted above says that ivermectin at just 0.4mg/kg is toxic to some birds, so perhaps it's not quite as safe as I thought.

Thinking out-loud here... I wonder if something like Vectra 3D would be effective? It sure was effective when I used it on my peacock when he had lice.

-Kathy

I see no harm in treating with ivermectin as long as the proper doses are used. Interestingly, the link I posted above says that ivermectin at just 0.4mg/kg is toxic to some birds, so perhaps it's not quite as safe as I thought.

Thinking out-loud here... I wonder if something like Vectra 3D would be effective? It sure was effective when I used it on my peacock when he had lice.

-Kathy

The harm in treating with ivermectin is mostly because it does not work. Even in mammals you may see it in a horse wormer, or Heartgard for dogs, and it is never listed as a deterrent to ectoparasites, only a select few of endoparasites. The bird owners who continue to buy products like SCAT and some ivermectin products for pigeons do so in complete ignorance just as the snake oil outfits who sell it. I've treated with ivermectin, eprinomectin, fipronil, permethrin,rabon over the years. Ivermectin and eprinomectin (topical) does nothing at all against mites or lice. Dips for more extreme infestations,where permethrin (Permectrin II/Atroban 11% EC) or Rabon-Vapona (Ravap EC) were used, were 100% effective. If one wants to avoid mite infestations, one has to keep up on the housing environment and follow a regiment of cleaning and treating. I haven't dealt with any ectoparasite except the occasional bird with slight scaly leg in ten years due to keeping up on their coop environment.

I've been reading a lot and honestly, I haven't finished reading all 37 posts on this thread about Ivermectin usage for chickens with lice and mites problem. I honestly need some help though. I've been dusting my 2 hens with DE - food grade for 4 times. I haven't seen any lice and/ or mites on them, but I've always felt itchy after handling them. About a week ago I had one of my hens sit on my lap for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, I felt itchy, then soon enough, I noticed bite marks everywhere on my upper thigh, where the hen was resting earlier. These were bumps that were large in size, as if I was bitten by mosquitoes, except they were bumpy, long and narrow bite marks. I also notice the palm of my hands were itchy after picking them up and held them for a few minutes....

So, I'm suspecting that my hens are facing some external parasites problems and I'm trying desperately to find a good and reliable solution to combat with the problem. Earlier today, I did a reading about Ivermectin's effectiveness: http://www.selfsufficientme.com/pou...-lice-treatment-for-chickens-or-other-poultry

The article advised against DE and other natural, organic solutions to treat lices/ mites on chickens. So I came here and found Michael Apple advised against using Ivermectin (if I understood that correctly)...

I'll continue to use DE, but I'm afraid that alone isn't enough to do anything for my hens. Please help!!!

Thank you.

I've been reading a lot and honestly, I haven't finished reading all 37 posts on this thread about Ivermectin usage for chickens with lice and mites problem. I honestly need some help though. I've been dusting my 2 hens with DE - food grade for 4 times. I haven't seen any lice and/ or mites on them, but I've always felt itchy after handling them. About a week ago I had one of my hens sit on my lap for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, I felt itchy, then soon enough, I noticed bite marks everywhere on my upper thigh, where the hen was resting earlier. These were bumps that were large in size, as if I was bitten by mosquitoes, except they were bumpy, long and narrow bite marks. I also notice the palm of my hands were itchy after picking them up and held them for a few minutes....

So, I'm suspecting that my hens are facing some external parasites problems and I'm trying desperately to find a good and reliable solution to combat with the problem. Earlier today, I did a reading about Ivermectin's effectiveness: http://www.selfsufficientme.com/pou...-lice-treatment-for-chickens-or-other-poultry

The article advised against DE and other natural, organic solutions to treat lices/ mites on chickens. So I came here and found Michael Apple advised against using Ivermectin (if I understood that correctly)...

I'll continue to use DE, but I'm afraid that alone isn't enough to do anything for my hens. Please help!!!

Thank you.
You need to treat your hens with a proper poultry dust or 5% Sevin, but you also need to treat their coop, perches and nesting boxes. Both @Michael Apple and @dawg53 should have some good suggestions on how to do that.

-Kathy

Hi, Kathy-

So I shouldn't use Ivermectin to treat external parasites on my hens? I did use Sevin dust many times before but I recently switched to DE-food grade as I thought I read that it's safer to use.
Thanks for your time to respond!

Hi, Kathy-

So I shouldn't use Ivermectin to treat external parasites on my hens? I did use Sevin dust many times before but I recently switched to DE-food grade as I thought I read that it's safer to use.
Thanks for your time to respond!
Stick with the Sevin or poultry dust.

-Kathy

I have to believe that ivermectin either only works in certain regions or those who say it doesn't work got a bad bottle. It no doubt killed my mite and lice problem last year and I had a horrid case!

missypebble your description sounds like mites, especially because you haven't stated seeing them. While its dark, take a napkin/paper towel and wipe the bottom of a roost pole. If you see flecks of red you likely have red mites. If theres a lot of red, your infested! Permethrin is a quick fix and could be used to treat the birds and the housing, or you could try the ivermectin and see if it works for you. You still need to treat the housing though.

Back
Top Bottom