Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

here is the thing on ivermectin

ivomec kinds
Ivomec 1% is water soluable and injectable, fast
release and needs lowing down going thru the gut. that
is why they use proplene glycol 3 drops to 1 drop of
ivemec 1%.
5% pour on is oil based and only used on shoulder of
the bird in drops. Slow release going into the
body
Something I noticed when comparing labels is that
Ivermectin Pour-On( 5%) kills both sucking & biting lice
whereas Ivermectin Injectable(1%) kills sucking lice but
not biting lice.

The words that people can't eat the eggs after worming is this:
It just means that the eggs can't be used for 10 days
A friend of mine Nathalie Ross gave this infoon using Ivermectin

If you go with Ivermectin injectable, you'll also need to buy propylene glycol to use with the injectable.
By the time you do this, you've spent the same amount of money as the pour on with what I feel isn't the
same level of effectiveness honestly, but some
people have access to injectable and not pour on so it's an option.

For the pour on Ivermectin (not Eprinex) the dosage I
use is as follows:
1 drop - OEGB sized small bantam female
2 drops - OEGB sized small bantam male
3 drops - average bantams
4 drops - large bantams, small commercial fowl
5 drops - most commercial fowl, small giant hens
6 drops - giant breeds of chicken

I always use a 3 cc syringe that I just fill to about
2 cc's with a 20 gauge needle. The needle WON'T be injected into the chicken, but does make it easier to dispense a controlled correct sized drop. It also is easier to get in there between the feathers.

For location, you'll want to find an easy to reach
spot with as little fluff as possible. I've had the
best luck with the back of the neck when I am by myself.

I just pick up the chicken in my left
hand, ruffle around the feathers with my right hand until I find a nice clear spot, then rotate the syringe around to dispense the drops exactly on the skin.

If you hit the fluff, it will soak in before
you can do anything and will be wasted. That stuff soaks in like lightening (which I discovered to my horror when I accidently got about 1 cc of it on me from the bottle - I'm worm free now!)
after giving Ivermectin.

Do the throwing of the eggs away for 10 days and then the medication will be out of the gut of the chickens

But at least you would rid the chickens of the worms which are eating 90% of the chickens daily feed!

they will be better off by getting the Chemical wormer first ( I would give wazine first then in 10 days the ivermectin)
so the chickens body can be rid of the adult round worms and then the other worms from Iermectin

It will cause a less poisonous effect on the gut of the chickens. If not having been wormed before the killing of the round worms is enough for first time then in 19 days worm with Ivermectin

If after worming you want to get what adults are in the gut of the chickens you can put 2% of daily feed by giving DE

The chemical wormer goes into the blood stream and the DE worms by knicking the soft worms skin and they die of dehydration
so the chickens are covered both ways

When I use Ivomec, I eat the eggs, i wont sell them, but I DO eat em, I havent gotten sick yet. But thats me, Im not saying you should eat em or that you would be ok eating them. I also know that ivomec is given to people in 3rd would countries for worms.

Quote:
I eat them to as do all 5 of my children if someone close wants them I ask if they are allergic to penicillin, I was told it would effect them the same way penicillin would if they allergic.
We use pour on

I use 1/2cc for my standards and 1/4cc for my bantams. There isn't enough Ivermectin that gets into the eggs to even be detectable...people just say not to eat them so nobody will try to sue their company.
wink.png
They're perfectly fine to eat though.

Quote:
See here you have it.. the eggs have been eaten by some whos allergic and they are fine.. so I would just say as per cautionary.
I was told this by a older woman up the road whos son had a reaction after eating eggs, not bad but itchy hives for a couple hours after.
Nothing 2 allergy pills combined with a pepcid ac pill didnt solve.
wink.png

Ms. Heywood,

First, thank you very much for the information; that was most helpful. Could you (or anybody else in the know) set me straight on something, though....

I am under the impression that ivermectin pour-on is effective at getting rid of mites and lice, but I'm not sure about it's efficacy on internal parasites. Am I to understand that ivermectin WILL NOT kill roundworms, but WILL kill gapeworms, cecal worms, and such? And in order to "kill everything," I should first give piperazine (aka "Wazine") for roundworms, followed by ivermectin about 10 days later? Is this correct?

I have recently rescued a flock of mixed egg-laying birds, and all have lice, mites, and very probably have internal parasites as well. I am trying to figure out the fastest, easiest way to get them back to being happy and healthy, and that post on ivermectin was a big help. Thank you!

-Gary From Yonkers

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom