does anybody know how lemon cuckoo is carried in orpingtons?

doublebarredandhen.jpg
singlebarred-hen.jpg
buff birds must carry the recessive gold allele to be buff, The other option is to carry the silver allele. the silver allele would produce a white bird with some black in the tail.

the nearly white birds would be silver. The barring gene would show in any black feathers in the tail or wings.

Tim
So is a lemon cuckoo only a buff with the cuckoo gene or is it also exhibiting silver? Some of my lemon cuckoo pullets do not exhibit barring but are lighter on the body with buff heads. Any explanation for that?
Or could dominant white be in my lines? Since the dominant white is what produces the chamois (white spangled gold) color in Spitzhauben, could it be lightening my lemons? I just culled some cockerels that were mostly white with gold splashes.

Last edited:
double checking to make sure i am understanding this right.

in lemon cuckoo orpingtons the barring is a result of the silver allele. an overdose of the silver allele over-rides the gold allele making the nearly white chickens. the barring is still there, just undefined for the most part.

and if this is true, you can cross the nearly white hen with a full buff rooster and yield 100% lemon cuckoo single barred?

Barring is only on the Z chromosone.

Rooster = ZZ
Hen = ZW

I'm foggy on whether cuckoo is just barring, so my terminology may not be 100% correct.

Lemon Cuckoo Hen = Cuckoo buff/Buff = Will not be almost white, male offspring will receive Cuckoo gene from mother, females will NOT.

Pure Lemon Cuckoo Roo = Cuckoo buff/cuckoo buff = lighter colored due to white stripes being wider, all offspring will be barred.

Not pure Lemon Cuckoo Roo = Cuckoo buff/buff = Feathers kin to Lemon Cuckoo female, will pass barring on to 50% of offspring.

Buff over Lemon Cuckoo = 50% buff females, 50% single barred lemon males

Single barred LC over LC = 25% buff females, 25% LC females, 25% single barred lemon males, 25% pure LC males.

Pure LC over LC = 100% LC

Pure LC over buff = 50% LC female, 50% single barred lemon males

Is that correct?

Back
Top Bottom