Does anybody know how to make/help a chicken go broody and sit on eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FF, Jun 15, 2010.

1. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    I have a bantam barred cochin mamma chicken. I ahve 49 other little 10 week olds. I am wanting to but some cochin hatching eggs and let her sit on them. I just want a chicken to go broody. I ahve never had this happen and just one time would like to do it. If you all could please help me, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks ahead of time.

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

No way to make, or help one go broody that I know of, but standard cochins go broody quite easily for the most part. I have no idea if bantams are similar in that respect of not. There is hope of course, very much so!

3. themoorethemerrier

themoorethemerrier Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    WNY
    I agree. There's no way to make them broody, but have a brood house/pen ready for when they do, and then buy your eggs. It'll happen!!! [​IMG]

4. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Leave the eggs in the nest.

5. FF

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Ok. But they are unfertilized. will she get off if i put another kind of eggs on her

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  6. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Yes you can make a hen go broody!! There are links/threads on here that explain it all. I cant find them right at the moment and I dont have the time to type it all....................when I find em, I'll post em........

Here is one link/thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=176282

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  7. FF

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Quote:Thank you very much 92 caddy. I am reading it right now. Thank you very very much for that link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by