Does anybody know why he's moving like this?

May 9, 2022
Greetings, all!
We have an "elderly/ geriatric" aged Peacock (they cannot tell exactly how old he is. He was wild, he got injured so we took him in).
We recently took him to the vet, and they said he has pretty bad arthritis in his feet/legs/wings.

We are giving him a weekly shot, as well as two medicines twice a day.

Recently, he's been putting his head/neck on the ground (seemingly as leverage so he can try to move, though he really can't move much now ): ) and it seems he keeps trying to move his LEFT leg (his right leg is kind of permanently out in front of him now), but he keeps putting his neck/head on the ground and flapping out his wing and trying to move his left leg.

WHAT exactly is happening here? Is he in pain? Is he uncomfortable? Is his leg going numb and he's not used to that, so he's trying to move it? (He's not making noise as if he's in pain, we're always on the lookout for that. And the vet said as long as he's EATING and pooping normally, we don't need to do anything drastic), but of course, we want to make sure he's not in PAIN.
I watch him struggling to move and I wish there was more I could do, and KNOW what he wants to do so I can help him.

I am attaching a Youtube video link, as the video is too long for me to upload, so hopefully, it helps understand what I am speaking about.
Please advise!
Thank you!!

I read that peafowl can get Marek's, can you call your vet and ask?
Thank you for your response!
When we were at the vet a few weeks ago, they did XRays and such, they only said that it was arthritis. As far as why he's moving as he is, they haven't said anything about that ):

*Edit* - wow, after reading through that article, and seeing the photo of the chicken in the same position, he very well may have that!
I wonder why they didn't find that in the XRays though?

Considering his quality of life and the fact that there is no chance of him returning to normal I would opt to put him down. I know that is not what you want to hear but better to end his pain than to continue like this.
Thank you for your response.
But that is my question, IS he in pain? Obviously, we don't want that, but other than his new odd movements, he's not making SOUNDS of pain? Or does that not matter, given his movements?

Not to deny the cold facts, because they're certainly not wrong. However, I felt a need to speak up for the "body's broken, but the love of life stays strong" animals of the world ♥️ including people.
(Nope, that's it Gramma! You're in a wheelchair, so it's clearly time for you to shuffle, er, 'roll' off your mortal coil. Bye now!)
Kidding!!
Really though, if the creature is done it's done, and I'm not so sure about this one... Since the OP stated "the vet said as long as he's EATING and pooping normally, we don't need to do anything drastic), but of course, we want to make sure he's not in PAIN."
The question here is extremely complicated while being incredibly simple.
IS the bird in pain?
Again, I'm not sure. If he truly is, I have no doubt this very loving and competent owner will end his suffering quickly.

-runs off to do some research-

I'm wishing you and your beautiful bird the best! At this point, before I know more, I would try making it comfortable. Place some rolled towels around to help it prop into a more comfortable position? It worked well for my hen. ♥️ Also, as far as the waste? When my old girl was on her way out, I placed folded paper towels behind her, changing them regularly. When a bird is immobile diapers are fairly easy. 👍

I do want to add that it's clear the first responder has a lot of peafowl experience, and I believe their concern for the animal may have caused them to miss the OP's root question.
I'm curious now too, how does one measure pain limits and levels in a bird? With most animals (horses and dogs iny experience), so long as they're eating and drinking well, they're not suffering horribly. Of course, these are purely my own opinions. I'm still a beginner with birds! 🦚

He can't get up, he can not stand, he is laying in his waste and is only going to get worse. In the wild nature would have already claimed him. Sorry for the cold facts.
Well, he's not laying in his waste, as we frequently change around and switch out his blanket. And what does that say about any elderly person that needs assistance? We don't opt to put them down immediately. If they're not in pain, and they have people to help them, they can still have a good life. I know you're trying to help, but I can't help but feel like the way you're coming off is a bit rude.

Back
Top Bottom