Does anybody know why he's moving like this?

Not to deny the cold facts, because they're certainly not wrong. However, I felt a need to speak up for the "body's broken, but the love of life stays strong" animals of the world ♥️ including people.
(Nope, that's it Gramma! You're in a wheelchair, so it's clearly time for you to shuffle, er, 'roll' off your mortal coil. Bye now!)
Kidding!!
Really though, if the creature is done it's done, and I'm not so sure about this one... Since the OP stated "the vet said as long as he's EATING and pooping normally, we don't need to do anything drastic), but of course, we want to make sure he's not in PAIN."
The question here is extremely complicated while being incredibly simple.
IS the bird in pain?
Again, I'm not sure. If he truly is, I have no doubt this very loving and competent owner will end his suffering quickly.

-runs off to do some research-

I'm wishing you and your beautiful bird the best! At this point, before I know more, I would try making it comfortable. Place some rolled towels around to help it prop into a more comfortable position? It worked well for my hen. ♥️ Also, as far as the waste? When my old girl was on her way out, I placed folded paper towels behind her, changing them regularly. When a bird is immobile diapers are fairly easy. 👍
Thank you VERY much for your response! ♥
Yes, that's exactly why I am on here, because I am not quite at that point where I'm certain he's ready to check out.
That's what I was thinking, when someone is elderly and can't quite care for themselves anymore, they have ones who care help them out. You don't just pull the plug quite yet.
Now of course with humans, they can voice their pains and have much more customized treatment plans, but I'd assume same for animals, if they're in pain, they'd at least make a sound (which of course is why I am still double checking if animals can still be in pain without making a sound).

We do change out his blankets frequently, so he's not laying in waste. We'll flip over, and inside out the current blanket a couple of times, then switch it out. I will also look into diapers!

It's a great idea to put rolled blankets on the sides of him to help prop him up more! Thank you, we will implement that!

I greatly appreciate your input ♥

I do want to add that it's clear the first responder has a lot of peafowl experience, and I believe their concern for the animal may have caused them to miss the OP's root question.
I'm curious now too, how does one measure pain limits and levels in a bird? With most animals (horses and dogs iny experience), so long as they're eating and drinking well, they're not suffering horribly. Of course, these are purely my own opinions. I'm still a beginner with birds! 🦚
Thank you for your response!
Yes, I know we'd all love to be able to communicate with animals so we know things much easier. I'd IMAGINE he'd make more noise/ sounds of pain if he were in pain, but I'm sure that's not always the case.
The vet did say that eating and drinking is a huge indicator of their current health status.
But yes, ultimately I'm just trying to find out more information on his current movements and learning any indicators of pain.

Last edited:
This bird should be humanely euthanized. This is no life to live and he will never truly recover. If he has arthritis he is experiencing some level of pain but being a wild bird he probably puts on a brave face instinctually so he's not singled out by predators.

Oh dear, I suppose there ARE mornings when I feel I should be humanely euthanized!! After my coffee though, I'm usually happy I'm alive.
On a more serious note, since there don't seem to be any real answers here? My father is a Wildlife Biologist located in Eugene, Oregon. He has some friends in the local Wild Bird Rescue there. I'll send this over to them. Until then, comfort measures, trust yourself, you know your bird! ♥️

Hello. I realize these posts were a couple months ago but I am curious to know how things went with your peacock? They are prone to Mareks as are chickens and some can live with it for a lifetime without major issues and others not so much. It takes over neurological functions causing paralysis often in legs first then wings and eventually they can not eat properly if at all resulting in starvation. You may not see all the internal issues like tumors in organs and such. And it can not be determined until after death usually as per much research I have done. There also is not treatment. Once a bird shows signs it is only a matter of time. At that point you have 2 options basically. Do all you can to keep the bird comfortable or make the decision to give the bird peace over slowly starving to death which may not look painful but can you imagine? Sadly I have had experience with this.

Hello. I realize these posts were a couple months ago but I am curious to know how things went with your peacock? They are prone to Mareks as are chickens and some can live with it for a lifetime without major issues and others not so much. It takes over neurological functions causing paralysis often in legs first then wings and eventually they can not eat properly if at all resulting in starvation. You may not see all the internal issues like tumors in organs and such. And it can not be determined until after death usually as per much research I have done. There also is not treatment. Once a bird shows signs it is only a matter of time. At that point you have 2 options basically. Do all you can to keep the bird comfortable or make the decision to give the bird peace over slowly starving to death which may not look painful but can you imagine? Sadly I have had experience with this.
Not mareks, peafowl are much more resistant to mareks than chickens are and can be carriers for it without showing any signs of infection. I've talked to a number of people this year who did not qt their peafowl before letting them mingle and they lost quite a few chickens because of it.

Back
Top Bottom