1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does Anybody Wonder?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Oregon Blues, May 17, 2011.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Why is it that I can buy eggs in the market and all shells are intact, all yolks are undamaged, and all air cells are in perfect condition?

Those eggs are shipped long distances packed in crates with no protection but the thin little egg carton. They are shaken hard in lumbering big trucks and moved around on bumpy hand trucks, and they are undamaged.

Yet, you can pack hatching eggs tenderly with all sorts of padding and they arrive with the yolk scrambled and the air cell broken. It's extra good luck if they actually arrive with the shells intact.

Doesn't seem fair, does it.

2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    I can't see how the ones packed with no protection come
    out undamaged.

It's not fair. In my own opinion, it's somtimes a waste

of money. It's why I don't order eggs, I just collect my own

or buy them locally. They get really shook up - packed with

protection, or not! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  3. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    OMG!!! I was thinking the SAAME thing JUST yesterday!! [​IMG]
    I know right!! its weird.

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    One thing is the eggs are all on the same truck in special rolling crates so that nothing can squash them.
    They may get some rough handling but is it is better than what the USPS does to shipped eggs. I still think they play football with them.

Another is that more n more grocery store chains carry eggs that are from egg farms in the same state or area so that the eggs are fresher and they are not having to be shipped as far. Also, it boosts their customers wanting the eggs if they are selling local grown eggs. Kinda of a gimic to calm folks after the big salmanella scare. But it does save them money in shipping.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Plus, grocery store eggs travel in big, grocery store egg delivery trucks. That's ALL that gets carried, and they're on special racks (which somebody already mentioned). They're not just tossed, willy-nilly, onto the open back of a truck and stuffed wherever there is space for the package.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by