does anyoe know what breed this roo is

Quote:
You can't know for sure what breed that rooster is. I'd say he's very pretty--an interesting mix for sure!
smile.png

thanks chic mom

am gonna just cross him with my rir and see what we get
i think that im gonna stop worrying about what he is and just enjoy who he is
clap.gif

i dont know what his parents were the old man has so many breeds free ranging that i dont think he would know himself id say hes a mixed up cross breed that to trace his parents breed would even be hard they all look like multiple crossed breeds down there not that there is anything wrong with that im gonna do it myself with my rir well im not roy is but ill let him lol
wee.gif

Quote:
Poor quality for the breed standards. And by hatchery bred I mean that he originally came from a hatchery line, not from a breeder. (When I say breeder, I mean someone breeding them for the APA Standard of PErfection, not just for egg laying.)

And, comb can indeed rule out sexlink. In order to create this color with Sex Links, you'd need Leghorns and Production Reds. Both Rosecomb Reds and Rosecomb Leghorns are very rare.

Also, this bird is not a Sex Link because of the poor lacing it has. A sex link should look a lot like a Red Pyle - This rooster is simply a splash laced red. Notice how each feather on his chest has red in the center, and white on the outside?

Sex link can be created with other breeds other than production reds and leghorns. Do your research and you will find this to be accurate. It can be the combination of many genes, not just specifically from two breeds. There is a whole stickied topic on this. And anyone with experience with sexlinks can also tell you that any two sex link males may be vastly different in their coloration, dependent on the breed. The rose comb could have been achieved by using a dominique hen with a wyandotte. And there you have a sexlink.

Sex link and lacing dont have anything to do with each other. Plus, the rosecomb could have also come from a rosecombed RIR.

Last edited:
well you say theres probably leghorn in the mix - i'd say a sex link created from a rosecomb brown leghorn over a white hen.... = red sex link leg horn correct?

No clue what he is:confused: But he sure is pretty. Sounds like your neighbor has no clue either, but then unless you are breeding specific breeds, does it really matter? He is beautiful and you have given him a good home. That is one happy roo.

thanks bay mule
thats my final tought on him too am gonna just give up on what he is or is not i know hes a he and he does what hes meant to thats good enough for me

Back
Top Bottom