Does anyoen know if my Rhode Island Red a Game Rooster?

MoniqueA

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Northern CA
Hello all. Is this a normal Rhode Island Red Rooster or who is part Game?
He is 1 yr old, stands alot taller than all of our other full size chickens. He attacks us sometimes, spurs are growing but not complete

I hand feed him, and I pet him then jumps down to go back to the Coop for bed. I have done it in the daytime too. Will he let me do it later or will he get meaner do you think?

IMG_0694.jpg

Last edited:
Hi is not a Rhode Island Red. He looks more like an Aseel (Asil) game type bird.
If he is already starting to attack you, then he might start to cause problems when he is older, and more experinced.

If he's doing it now, expect it to get worse. Unfortunately he doesn't see you as top rooster. And his attacking you is way of dominating you. He's a large bird and I wouldn't have a large bird around that attacked me.

I have a bantam cochin who challenges me. I call him Pesky. He's a little thing who goes out of his way to do Kung Fu chicken on me. He's tiny enough where I can snatch him up and give him a good talking to and then put him down.

A larger rooster is scarier.

Laurie

He looks a little like my Game roo. Who BTW is named Romeo, because he's a lover and not a fighter. He's the sweetest, most mellow of all my roos.

Now my EE roo? Don't turn your back! He's a nut case and not friendly at all. We're going through roo 101 training right now.

Quote:
Thank you, I looked them up. He looks like one, and their spurs are real long like blades. I don't want to get hit with those blade things, so I'll try to tame him but it's doubtful he will stop attacking, at least part of the time. I am concerned he is a rare bird that if I give him to a good home, they may sell him or use him for bad endeavors. So I'll sit on it for a while, he's a yr old so we have some time.

Thanks so much!!!

He isn't a game, maybe partially but definitely not pure. You can always trim the spurs once they do start getting long, then you won't have to worry about them hurting you. There are a lot of articles about this if you look around. If he is aggressive, try handling him more but don't be rough- that will only make the aggressiveness worse to you or other people. I have found most roosters are aggressive out of fear, once they trust you then they're calm as can be.. If he doesn't gentle down, I would cull (kill, sell, give away, whatever it takes).

-Daniel

If you get worried about the spurs you can cut them off. My Foghorn (W Leghorn) Loves to attack!!! He was our first roo (3yrs old now) and the only one that attacks. We couldn't get rid of him, too many people wanted him for other purposes, that we don't believe in. He is a bother sometimes but also a conversation piece. We cut his spurs and they healed up in no time as nubs. Allowed us to keep him. Now if he decides to sneak attack you only get shocked and nubbed.
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom