Does anyone buy egg-eaters?

chickenannie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 19, 2007
Pennsylvania
By now I have realized that the 6 pretty Australorp-cross hens I got at an auction are egg-eaters (or at least one is). Today was the last straw, as one of those laid an egg in the turkey nest while the turkey was gone, and then ate the egg, splattering goo over all my other precious turkey-eggs-in-waiting. Argh.
barnie.gif

(I know it was her because tell-tale bits of blue egg were stuck on the turkey eggs along with the goo, and I have only ONE blue-egg layer).

I don't really want to cull her, or her 5 compatriots, but they are now a problem. A bit too small for the stew pot. Is there a happy farm somewhere that doesn't mind egg-eating chickens?

Any suggestions?

Yeah, I figured that out. And I don't want to do that to someone else. That's irresponsible to sell them without notice of their behavior. I'd love to give them right back and ask for my money.

try to build a nesting box where the eggs roll out of reach of the hens. there is a thread from awhile back that shows how to build it. worth a try.
smile.png

I have been reading those egg-eater posts, which have been very helpful. Since I'm completely un-adept at carpentry, I'd rather just get rid of them I think. I'm mad at them destroying my turkey's nest.

pen here off to herself till you decide what you need todo with her.all she is good for is being a pet chicken.unless you dont mind culling an eating your birds.

If you know which hen is eating the egg seprate her off in another pen and see if the problem stops. If it does, then the other hens haven't learned the bad habit.
Or mane a roll away nest box. I tried this but my guilty hen just stuck her head under the board and got the egg anyways
You can try and rehab the culprit using doctored mustard/tobasco eggs. It took my hen 2 times of eating a mustard egg and burning her nose and eyes and she hasn't gone after an egg since.
Though I've heard I'm one of the few sucess stories in curing an egg eater, most of the time I think they end up in the pot.

Cory

Have you tried contacting the person you bought them from?

I would give it a try, I understand that more than likely they would say 'no' to a refund. It is worth a try. Contact them and explain they should have notified you "if" they knew that the hens were egg-eaters. Provide them a reasonable compromise like taking the birds back and giving you your money back. Explain that you bought the birds for breeders and an egg-eater is no good as an egg-eater. That it would only be decent that they take the birds back and attempt to resell them with the warning that they are known egg-eaters.

Do not forget to explain to the seller that you are willing to leave negative feedback, explaining to all future potential customers your plight and their failure to right their wrong.

If they say "no, they are your problem now" leave a negative feedback explaining the situation and that the problem was NOT taken care of, so bad product and bad customer service(I think you said you bought them off an auction site). Be sure to leave the feedback, you do not want people having the same problem you did. **If they do fix the problem, by either taking the birds back and giving you a refund, or even just giving you your money back and leaving you to deal with the birds, make sure to leave POSITIVE feedback, again explaining the situation and that they did fix the problem.

I know it is unlikely that they would help you out, but I believe it would be worth a try.

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom