Does anyone do medical transcription work from home?

Quote:
OH NO!!!!
sad.png
hugs.gif

Quote:
Debi, that's medical coding. That's a completely different field from transcription. And yes, coders do make a fortune! In fact, nowadays, professional coders that are certified have a 2-year degree (you need to get your RHIT or RHIA, which you have to get from a 2-year college). Transcriptionists used to make nearly as much as coders, and if an MT is lucky enough to maintain one of the rare "good jobs" that are still around, even better! The jobs available nowadays, though, are nothing like what this industry had available even as recently as 5-10 years ago! Unfortunately, however, for the young lady who is looking to just jump into transcription without any training in the field whatsoever, I fear she will be sorely disappointed in what she discovers.

To the OP: I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I saw your post in the other thread. Hugs to you!
hugs.gif
Here's hoping that what she has is benign and easily treatable. Your family is in our prayers!

To Arabianequine: That's awesome that you are supportive of the OP, as are we all! That's why we are explaining to her that medical transcription requires training and experience and is NOT something you can just jump in and do at home and expect to make any money at it. It's a trained skill, not something you can just wake up one morning and say, "Oh, I'd like to make some money doing THAT" and just do it. It doesn't work that way, just like it doesn't work that way with ANY skill that requires training. No matter how much faith you have in somebody, that doesn't change the reality of this industry. And the reality is that to do medical transcription from home, you must be trained and experienced.

To Arabianequine: That's awesome that you are supportive of the OP, as are we all! That's why we are explaining to her that medical transcription requires training and experience and is NOT something you can just jump in and do at home and expect to make any money at it. It's a trained skill, not something you can just wake up one morning and say, "Oh, I'd like to make some money doing THAT" and just do it. It doesn't work that way, just like it doesn't work that way with ANY skill that requires training. No matter how much faith you have in somebody, that doesn't change the reality of this industry. And the reality is that to do medical transcription from home, you must be trained and experienced.

Just wanted to add that most companies won't even allow you to test for a job without a certificate from a recognized school. Last time I checked, the going rate for new transcriptionists at the national companies was between 4-7 cents a line. The pay rate has been steadily falling since I started while the credentialing requirements have increased. Not trying to be a wet blanket. Just don't want to set up false expectations.

HTH

Rusty​

Last edited:
I understand that is typical but people have done crazier things. Someone might hire her around here. I have lots of healthcare experience and been working in healthcare since 1991. I was hired to do an audit job for various health insurance companies...hedis project is huge every year....which I had never done before. I love it and make really good money. I passed the tests given so they hired me with that and my healthcare experience.

I would not go back to working in a nursing home for nothing. I love the patients but not everything else.

Last edited:
I have agree with everyone on this. I went to school to become a medical transcriptionist and I had a few connections and was able to get an intership which led into a job. After 6 months I was laid off because my account was outsouced. Since I was only in the field for about 6 months I could not get a job anywhere. There are times I regret going into the field because now I cannot get a job back into it, but I am also thankful I have some of the medical knowledge that I have. It took over a year to find another job at the Chiropractic I work for now. The medical knowledge will pay at the end of August because my Dr. is sending me to become a Certified Chiropractic Assistant, which i will be taking a basic course of Anatomy & Physiology. Sorry if I started to ramble.

Quote:
It's more than just "typical". It's an industry reality. That's like saying I'm smart and argumentative and would be a good lawyer, and then proceed to open a law office without going to school or getting any training.

Just so I understand your point, let me clarify what you are saying.... you are working as a full-blown acute care medical transcriptionist from home without any medical transcription training?? Are you able to work on your own doing hospital acute care work from a variety of hospitals with different procedures, without any assistance at home or anyone to "listen" for you when you got stuck, or are you only able to transcribe dictation from the physician(s) associated with the facility you work for? Would you be able to get a job that pays by the line and make any money? Would you be able to pass the transcription tests that are required by the national companies you would have to work for if you worked at home? Do you have the knowledge and experience that is required to even apply for those jobs, and if so, could you actually DO them?

Here... check out these jobs, read their requirements, then go to their websites and take their tests. http://www.mtjobs.com/job_list.php?trac=1&pagenum=1 (If you don't have the required experience, you may not even be allowed to take their test.)

That's where the work-at-home transcription jobs are. Read the requirements... do you see any that don't require some experience under your belt?

We are trying to keep the OP from getting her hopes up to do something that just is not a viable option for someone with NO medical transcription training thinking they can dive right into it on maternity leave and make $500 a month (can't be done). I think she has enough on her mind with her mother being ill than trying to swim upstream in an industry that really isn't holding water anymore, even for those of us who have been in it our whole lives.

The OP is looking for one of these kinds of jobs listed at mtjobs.com, thinking that with no experience she can just dive into being a medical transcriptionist one day because she's been misled by ads to think it's easy money (AIN'T NOTHING EASY ABOUT ACUTE CARE TRANSCRIPTION). She thinks she can just jump into transcription (as many are misled into believing), and in this industry, the reality is that it can't happen. Perhaps "someone around there" will hire her, but she's not looking for a job outside the house where someone is going to work with her and help her learn to transcribe the doctors affiliated with only THEIR company/clinic/facility. She's looking for something she can do at home, without any prior experience or training, and make some fast money doing it because misleading transcription ads have led her to believe she can.

Even with all my experience, I'm making the same salary now I was getting in 1994 because the salaries have just tanked in our industry in the last 5-10 years, due to much of our work being outsourced overseas to transcriptionists in India for 3 to 4 cents a line.

Having experience in the medical fields is directly translatable into other medical jobs, but transcription is a whoooooole other beast unto itself. If you are doing full-blown acute care transcription on your own without any prior medical transcription training at all, then you are a genius who should be doing something way more important than medical transcription.

Edited for typos.

Last edited:
I do not do transcription at all.

All I am saying is that I did get a job doing something that I was not trained to do. Based on passing the tests they required and having a lot of health care experience. I was just saying it maybe possible to get a job doing something you were not trained to do, it was for me.

Op can look into it and take the courses required if she wishes when she is ready...after the unfortunate news of her mother. I actually looked into doing this myself and the training did not seem all that expensive or time consuming. It would not be done in the time she needs it though to start working.

There are other things too that she can look into. Insurance maybe a good one too but also requires....you to be licensed.

Last edited:
I have been a certified MT for 16 years with some Medical Coding training. Paid over $10,000 in school loans, and never found a job. I live in a small town, where it is hard to find a MT position, they were all taken. If you get at MT position in my town, you don't let it go. These people have been with the same Dr. for years. Can't work from home without 2-5 years experience. I could have moved to a large city, but I like small towns.

I think you can do Medical Coding school in less time than getting Certified as an MT.

Back
Top Bottom