Does anyone else do this?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WooingWyandotte, Feb 11, 2014.

1. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    First of all, I had five very beautiful ducks. Nice stock given to me by a breeder getting out of it who wanted to pass their hard work on. I loved and cared for them for about two months before a predator attack. 3 ducks down.

Two poor, traumatized ducks left; day before Christmas of 2013 both heads popped off and eaten. What sort of devil would gnaw off the heads and leave the bodies? Geez! [​IMG]

Seriously, if a predator is going to kill one of my animals they should at least eat the whole thing. Anyways, I'm getting off topic; both ducks were obviously killed, however I couldn't bear to just throw them on the compost.

So I bagged them and put them in the freezer. They are still there. And every once in awhile I get them out and look at them - at my crushed dreams. It's like I can't bear to let them go! And now my mom who lives with me is buying a 1/4 of a cow and needs the freezer space - and she informed me this morning that I needed to get my ducks out of the freezer or else. Man, I'm an ADULT! Why is this so hard for me?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I hear you. I had an owl take the head off a chick and a few stray dogs come by and kill some young chickens. I think the trauma is partially because it's such a waste and partially because there were such high hopes/ dreams attached to those birds
    Fortunately, I have a tough hubby who chopped them up for the dogs. I would probably have just buried them.
    My heart goes out to you and I hope you can find a good place to bury them or find someone who can do it for you. [​IMG]

3. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Aw, thanks. :) I think I'll just throw them in the compost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by