Does anyone else get frustrated at shows like "Animal Cops"

I know exactly what you mean. I recently tried to have a discussion with a person that went south real quick about animals being equal to humans. She was a nut. I think that as a society we have clamoured to the idea that animals need 100% and more of our constant care at our personal perceived level instead of a minimal care level suited for each animal. Animals are equipped with instincts that make it possible for them to survive which is what they do they do not think as we do when they do things to survive, in other words they do not pursue luxuries. We are a fickle race... an animal with hair like a horse for example is given a blanket when they have adequate hair to keep them warm. My horse grew 2 inches of hair in 8 days on a Montana elk hunt where the temps went from in Oregon the mid 50's to Montana's -5. I did use a blanket because I altered his environment but he compensated with unbelievable hair growth. He shed it out back home. Another thing I noticed was the elk would choose to lay in the snow patches when bedding because their preferred comfortable ambient temperature is 32 degrees.

As for stressing them out with luxuries one only look to your chickens. You feed them excessive treats they will turn their nose up at good balanced rations and suffer malnourishment or obesity.

As for the OP topic there is a sect of folks out there that not only go overboard IMO on animal husbandry but get upset when you or someone else does not measure up to their standard and then become a crusader to cause grief in your life when there are real issues in life where people are starving, lacking basic healthcare and the list goes on. For those people it is a good thing the pets they dote on cannot talk they therefore would have to actually listen to their pets opinions and may not like what they "think" their pets really feel... if they do indeed are capable of those type of feelings.

It is beyond my comprehension that they can take animals whenever they want because you expect outdoor animals to live outside, want your chickens to lay eggs, or because an animal does a natural thing such as eat or poop. You can love your animals very much and still have basic expectations and boundaries from them, such as a horse living outside. As much as we may love them, animals are not humans and we cannot treat them like ones; it will probably result in stressing them out beyond belief. Going after good pet owners who care for their animals and not after the real animal abusers who try to hurt the animals or leave the poor things to rot is simply cowardice.

Hear, hear! Couldn't have said it better myself!
highfive.gif

I know exactly what you mean. I recently tried to have a discussion with a person that went south real quick about animals being equal to humans. She was a nut. I think that as a society we have clamoured to the idea that animals need 100% and more of our constant care at our personal perceived level instead of a minimal care level suited for each animal. Animals are equipped with instincts that make it possible for them to survive which is what they do they do not think as we do when they do things to survive, in other words they do not pursue luxuries. We are a fickle race... an animal with hair like a horse for example is given a blanket when they have adequate hair to keep them warm. My horse grew 2 inches of hair in 8 days on a Montana elk hunt where the temps went from in Oregon the mid 50's to Montana's -5. I did use a blanket because I altered his environment but he compensated with unbelievable hair growth. He shed it out back home. Another thing I noticed was the elk would choose to lay in the snow patches when bedding because their preferred comfortable ambient temperature is 32 degrees.

As for stressing them out with luxuries one only look to your chickens. You feed them excessive treats they will turn their nose up at good balanced rations and suffer malnourishment or obesity.

As for the OP topic there is a sect of folks out there that not only go overboard IMO on animal husbandry but get upset when you or someone else does not measure up to their standard and then become a crusader to cause grief in your life when there are real issues in life where people are starving, lacking basic healthcare and the list goes on. For those people it is a good thing the pets they dote on cannot talk they therefore would have to actually listen to their pets opinions and may not like what they "think" their pets really feel... if they do indeed are capable of those type of feelings.

Couldn't agree more.

Do not bother to contact the producers of the show. They're there to make money. (not that I blame them for that.) Contact the advertisers that are the source of the money. They'll get the message real quick.

My favorite example was a local newspaper that didn't print auto racing results on the sports page. When I called to ask why I was told, "No one is interested in that." I suggested that I might find it necessary to call all of the auto related businesses that advertised in the sports section (there were a lot) and tell them that the paper didn't think anyone was interested in automotive related sports they suddenly discovered that there were folks who wanted to read about that. They can be taught. You just gotta get their attention first.

Back
Top Bottom