Does anyone else have a crazy hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BunnyMomma, Sep 25, 2010.

1. BunnyMomma

BunnyMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Olin, North Carolina
    I have a 10 year old Silver Seabright hen. [​IMG] She had been the only chicken on the farm for 3 years until I recently brought some new chicks in. Any time one of the chicks (14 wks. now) get out of the daylot, GrannyChicken has a complete nervous breakdown until I come and put the chick back in the lot! GrannyChicken also thinks that she is a dog. [​IMG] For the last three years she has stayed near my dogs in the yard for protection. She will not "subject" herself to go around those new chickens. She eats dog food from all the dogs bowls, and drinks their water too. I have tried to get her to eat chicken food to no avail! I love her the way she is, and I find it crazy that she has turned canine! Do you have a Crazy Chicken too? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    holy moly 10 years old!!! [​IMG]

our chickens and dogs share water outside too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    At 10 years old if she wants to eat with the dogs let her eat with the dogs. She probably has no idea she's a chicken!

4. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Wow! is the secret to longevity in chickens to let them think they are dogs?? You must be doing something right for her. 10 years! I hope my girls will live that long. Does she ever lay??

5. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] You should have that on youtube. Maybe with the exposure, she'll get on TV. [​IMG]

Ed

6. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:I wonder this too. Does she still lay ? ? How frequently ? ?

My chickens have taken up eating the pot belly pig food. The pigs don't seem to like it, but they are too confused by it to do anything about it. [​IMG]

7. BunnyMomma

BunnyMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Olin, North Carolina
    Hi, Thanks for your questions! Yes she does lay eggs, but in places where no one can get to them usually. Some of the places that we have found where she lays are under the wood to water stove, under the shrubbery beneath the kitchen window, and under the storage shed. One day this summer we found her sitting on about 26 eggs, and we had to remove them so she would stop brooding and eat. She is a very smart bird and the dogs just love her! She came from a batch of Silver Seabrights and several other chicks that I ordered from Murray McMurray Hatchery 10 years ago. All of her "littermates" either died or were subjects of predators. She also crows like a roo from time to time. I think she was lonely for a while, and then she took up with our dogs. Now with the new chickens here she is just as protective as the doggies! Funny how a 10 oz. bird can be so smart. I will try to post some photos this week of her with the dogs.
    Granny Rocks! [​IMG]

8. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    My hen gets vocal when the pullet get out of sight of her, she can't keep up with them because of bad leg. I think this is 1 of the reasons they don't go out of my yard,
    Thats incredible that yours is still laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by