Does anyone else have worms?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Frosty, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I have some... Red Wrigglers in the basement and Mealies upstairs. I've had them for 2 years or so.

When I got the Wrigglers, we just had a cross cut shredder and I wanted a strip shredder for their bedding. We went to a store and as we were checking out, I solemnly told the cashier that we stopped there just for the shredder 'because I got worms'. The poor lady's eyes got huge, DH looked like he wanted to hide. He explained about the worms...

What better way to get rid of papers and those checks that credit card companies send? Lets see anyone do anything with them after the worms are done with them!

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Lol,the question does make you pause!

I got red wigglers from the kids school. What a great way to add nutrients to the soil with things that would otherwise fill a garbage dump!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    No, I just had my physical and the doctor says that I am parasite free.[​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

You and me both, sourland! And, boy! Was I relieved!

5. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

I just got started with my red worm composting bin. But, they can't keep up with the amount of things I want to compost. I even gave my sister red worms and a worm bin for Christmas. [​IMG] She love's it and is all for being "green". Hopefully I'll have enough red worms mulitplying to start a second or third bin. [​IMG]

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Just finished up my last round of ivermectin, thanks! [​IMG]

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My hubby has been talking about getting redworms. I told him- that in no way shape or form am I going to do ANYTHING for those worms. I have enough chores, lol.

But I did specify that I wanted to see it when he gave them to the girls. [​IMG] It will be a free-for-all!!!

8. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I don't, but my DH was scooting around on the carpet yesterday. Guess it's time to make an apt.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I used valbazen myself to get rid of that pesky tapeworm!

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Dawg53, I thought I told you to stop eating that sushi![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by