Does anyone else hold their ducks like this?

My chickens and one of my turkeys perches on me too, but if they suddenly decide to fly off then that claw leverage hurts lol. Ive found that this way (the one in the picture) works to pick them up without scaring them, as they can still get away. I know this because all of them are calm except the roosters, who hate being held for some reason. They flap their wings and kick until I release them or hold their wings down (if I need to hold them for any reason). All you do is release that bit of pressure that you're using between your fingers to keep their legs there (not much so they get hurt) and they're able to fly away
Ah ok, sounds good. I'll start doing that right away, thanks!

Holding them like this seems to calm them down a bit. Also it's one way to not get scratched by them. All of them besides Mina our mallard seem
to like it, of course most mallard don't like people so that's not surprising.

A few problems, as @Miss Lydia mentioned their lungs are closely located near their back, so it may make it hard for them to breathe while being held, also, the way you are holding them is not very secure, they could easily jump out of your hand if they wanted and possibly damage their legs, another reason would be that the contents in their crop may actually spill back out of their mouth if they are being held in such away.

I like to hold mine like a football.

Back
Top Bottom