Does anyone get 'stuff' from their local grocery store?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by happybooker1, Jan 1, 2013.

1. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    I was in my grocery a couple of days ago when they were putting out some cabbage heads. The stockboy was tearing off the top leaves and throwing them into a box -- I supposed to discard. Got me to thinking -- I bet they throw out a LOT of old, bruised, over ripe, etc. fruits/veggies that my chickies would LOVE to have. I was wondering about asking the manager for it?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Go for it ! I work at a big store and always bring home special treats for my chickies ! They love cabbage, tomatoes and lettuce.

3. I would--I sense a source of endless treats for your chickens, as well as some things that may be edible to you!

4. sarasweatman

sarasweatman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    I get tons of veggies from stores. They even call me to come and get stuff. Acme is the best! They actually have signs up asking people to let them know if you want their old veggies. I get bags of salad, bananas, tomatoes, tons of apples with bruises, etc. It is worth it!

5. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I was in my local farmers market and asked if they had any unwanted fruits/veggies. The nice man brought me a huge box of raspberries and blackberries that were smushed and the outer leaves of lettuce and cabbage they were unable to sell. I don't have my own chickens yet, getting them this spring and cant wait, but I brought them to my neighbors chickens I was 'chick sitting' and they went crazy over them! I will be going back for my own hens someday soon :)

6. montanachicks

montanachicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2012
    Great Falls Montana
    I have only asked at one store ~ Walmart~ about discarded veggies, fruits, etc, and was given a strong NO. They said it was against health regulations for them to give this stuff to anyone.... even tho I explained it was not for me, but my chickens. They looked at me like I was crazy. Maybe I'll give Albertsons or Smiths a try.

7. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I have not lately. But I used to get tons of "stuff" for the rabbits we had.
    Perhaps I should ask again......

8. sparrker

sparrker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    I've wondered the same, I'll give it a try and let you know back.

9. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    years ago i saw a "Dirty Jobs" show on TV where the owner of a hog farm in Las Vegas got tons of table scraps from the buffets on the strip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by