Does anyone have a Great Pyrenees...?

WhoDatChick

Eggstatic Fanatic!
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 6, 2018
Nawlins, Louisiana
Hi... was wondering if anyone has experience with these dogs... do they like to stay outside all the time..? I heard they like to walk the property at night.. do they guard against evil humans too? Are they hyper and wild while young? Or are they a calm breed?

I have never owned one, but my neighbors do (3 I think) and they never stay home. One time they were gone for weeks and one never came back. I'm sure it all depends on how well you train them. Do lots of research! :caf
From what I hear they're great farm/guard dogs, lots of farms around here have them and they stay outside always. :) Good luck :ya

I have 1 mixed had a old GSD she was trust worthy as a old dog can be the one we have now probably golden retriever and pyrenees yes I know this she is more retriever
wants to pick them up carry them around chickens are not happy with a dog carrying them I blame myself got her in July 2 years ago come october lots of rain lot's of mud did not take her with as 50lb happy dog unstable human would not go well

Thank you so much! I have read a lot about them but was also hoping for some first hand knowledge... I will have a fence put up before I’d get for sure! Our other two dogs are on the electric shock collars.. but they are limited as to where they can go.. I’d like to have this one be able to go everywhere...
You sound very responsible! Have you ever heard of boundary training? I think you have to pay for online lessons somewhere, but I hear really good things about it. You teach them their "boundaries" and they know to never cross it. I dont know the price, but it may be worth trying out.

You sound very responsible! Have you ever heard of boundary training? I think you have to pay for online lessons somewhere, but I hear really good things about it. You teach them their "boundaries" and they know to never cross it. I dont know the price, but it may be worth trying out.
That’s very interesting! I would love to have a dog be trained for that! It’s funny because my late Cocker Spaniel would not leave our yard at our camp and there was no electric fence there :lol:... maybe he sort of was trained that way because of the electric fence at home... I guess where ever he went he just knew not to leave where we belonged... he was the best boy:love.... my standard poodle never wears her collar and will never leave our yard..

I had 2 guarding my livestock for years and worked with a Great Pyr rescue as well. What information are you looking for?
I guess basically if they are an all around guard dog as well as for livestock/chickens... and if they are as calm as claimed..even as puppies... my dogs now are so hyper.. but one is a hunting dog so there is no getting around that with him...

Back
Top Bottom