Does anyone have a Great Pyrenees...?

Our neighbors have a one and a half year old Pyrenees/Anatolian Male. We "pet-sit" him often. He LOVES to run away, so he is kept in a paddock. he sleeps in a barn at night, but seems lonely sometimes. He has eaten a few of their chickens, which defeats the whole purpose they got him for. He was a pretty difficult puppy, but he's mellowed out as he's gotten older.

We have a 1 y/o GP/Anatolian mix that we got as a rescue about 3 months ago. He is a good watchdog and works mostly at night. When he’s working he barks at everything... all night long. He stays pretty close to home, though he has visited the neighbors on at least one occasion. We do not have livestock other than chickens and he pretty much ignores them. He’s a sweet boy, with an excellent temperament. He is a bit willful which I think is to be expected.

That’s very interesting! I would love to have a dog be trained for that! It’s funny because my late Cocker Spaniel would not leave our yard at our camp and there was no electric fence there :lol:... maybe he sort of was trained that way because of the electric fence at home... I guess where ever he went he just knew not to leave where we belonged... he was the best boy:love.... my standard poodle never wears her collar and will never leave our yard..
Another thought is looking for an already grown one that was raised around poultry. My German Shepherd was leash-trained around poultry and did great, but he got away from me when he was about 6months old before I'd gotten a chance to train him WITHOUT a leash and the second he got away he started killing ducks. He ended up killing 4 before he tired out and I could jump on him. He is now one month away from being 3 years old and he couldnt be BETTER around poultry while off leash. Once he hit 2 his wily personality mellowed just a bit and he's not so predator like when given freedom. Trust me, he can still be a butt that doesnt want to behave in the house, and sometimes likes to sneak into the fields when I turn my back, but it's not so unmanageable like when he was a puppy. An adult dog might be better if you can find a trustworthy and honest person selling one. Just a thought :)

Another thought is looking for an already grown one that was raised around poultry. My German Shepherd was leash-trained around poultry and did great, but he got away from me when he was about 6months old before I'd gotten a chance to train him WITHOUT a leash and the second he got away he started killing ducks. He ended up killing 4 before he tired out and I could jump on him. He is now one month away from being 3 years old and he couldnt be BETTER around poultry while off leash. Once he hit 2 his wily personality mellowed just a bit and he's not so predator like when given freedom. Trust me, he can still be a butt that doesnt want to behave in the house, and sometimes likes to sneak into the fields when I turn my back, but it's not so unmanageable like when he was a puppy. An adult dog might be better if you can find a trustworthy and honest person selling one. Just a thought :)
I like hearing other people’s first hand experience.. I’m starting to think they might not be right for me.. I do not like an incessantly barking dog!
I’ve always wanted a GSD.. but am wondering about them as well... I’d love to have a guard dog one day... my poodle would just invite bad people in... she loves EVERYONE!

I guess basically if they are an all around guard dog as well as for livestock/chickens... and if they are as calm as claimed..even as puppies... my dogs now are so hyper.. but one is a hunting dog so there is no getting around that with him...

They are an all around guard as far as alerting for sure and being "present". As to how forward and bossy in a non-livestock issue, that depends on the dog. They are vocal when something isn't right, livestock or not, and they do tend to be right up at the gate/fence, etc. During the day, if nothing is worrisome, they do sleep. They are still keeping an ear out for issues and will alert and guard, but they doze w the livestock generally and conserve energy during the day. At night is when they are busy. My male generally stayed with the herd and the female patrolled the fence. She loved to kill coyote. The male would take the herd to the barn and then help the female at the fence if needed. Otherwise he was a lazy bum and slept w the herd at night, too.

With family and known people, they were friendly. If someone was obviously supposed to be there they were generally reserved, but quiet.

They had incredible savvy on reading a situation and would guard the barn cats and anything else I brought in. Once I introduced a pet, duck, chicken, etc. that was considered "to protect" as well. I worked with a Great Pyr rescue group and both of mine were rescued working dogs.

You may be able to find an experienced working dog through rescue. If you get a pup, it's invaluable to have a good adult as an example for them. If you're starting w just pups, be sure to find a good breeder to help you, and be aware they won't be guarding and savvy for at least a year, probably 2 before they're fairly "bombproof" and truly able and confident enough to adequately stand up to serious predators.

Not all will guard chickens. Usually w some work introducing them to birds you'll have some luck. Especially if they're guarding a coop and not loose birds. A few dogs never do take to guarding chickens and may chase/kill free ranging birds.

They are an all around guard as far as alerting for sure and being "present". As to how forward and bossy in a non-livestock issue, that depends on the dog. They are vocal when something isn't right, livestock or not, and they do tend to be right up at the gate/fence, etc. During the day, if nothing is worrisome, they do sleep. They are still keeping an ear out for issues and will alert and guard, but they doze w the livestock generally and conserve energy during the day. At night is when they are busy. My male generally stayed with the herd and the female patrolled the fence. She loved to kill coyote. The male would take the herd to the barn and then help the female at the fence if needed. Otherwise he was a lazy bum and slept w the herd at night, too.

With family and known people, they were friendly. If someone was obviously supposed to be there they were generally reserved, but quiet.

They had incredible savvy on reading a situation and would guard the barn cats and anything else I brought in. Once I introduced a pet, duck, chicken, etc. that was considered "to protect" as well. I worked with a Great Pyr rescue group and both of mine were rescued working dogs.

You may be able to find an experienced working dog through rescue. If you get a pup, it's invaluable to have a good adult as an example for them. If you're starting w just pups, be sure to find a good breeder to help you, and be aware they won't be guarding and savvy for at least a year, probably 2 before they're fairly "bombproof" and truly able and confident enough to adequately stand up to serious predators.

Not all will guard chickens. Usually w some work introducing them to birds you'll have some luck. Especially if they're guarding a coop and not loose birds. A few dogs never do take to guarding chickens and may chase/kill free ranging birds.
Thank you so much for responding! They sound so great! I am in awe of how some dogs just instinctually “know” their job... and of course with some direction from us to become the best that they can be... they seem to be plentiful around here but I would also consider a rescue... but adult rescues I am wary about as I wonder what is the reason they were surrendered....

I had one several years ago that I got as an adult from the "dog pound." She was never trained and I didn't have any chickens then, just other dogs and cats. She would bark a lot if anything was amiss. I live in suburbia. She knew where all the neighbors lived and would bark if one neighbor went onto another neighbor's property. One of our cats swatted her, so she forever considered both cats evil. She would bark at visitors who tried to pet the cats - "Stay away from them! They are evil!" We had a fenced yard and she would walk the perimeter frequently, wore out a path all along the fence. I think she had been kept outside a lot before we got her and she wanted to be outside all the time for awhile after we got her. Then she realized it was really nice laying on the couch instead of being out in the rain, but still always like being outside guarding the world. They have an amazing instinct to protect and know when something's not right.

Thank you so much for responding! They sound so great! I am in awe of how some dogs just instinctually “know” their job... and of course with some direction from us to become the best that they can be... they seem to be plentiful around here but I would also consider a rescue... but adult rescues I am wary about as I wonder what is the reason they were surrendered....

It is incredible to watch them work. When I brought the female home first I walked her around the perimeter of the pasture and in the barn to introduce her and I could tell she just wanted to get with the herd of goats. Turned her loose, she went and sniffed each goat, and started working patrolling the fence line. We had a lot of hawks, owls and turkey vultures as well as coyote and opossum. She would run under any bird of prey until it cleared the fence line.

As for an adult...if you work with a rescue they generally have an experienced working foster home so the dogs are evaluated and kept working. Working Pyrs get rather upset if they don't have livestock and/or are kept up in a house or inside dog run. They WANT and need to be outside. As for worrying about the reason they need a home...many are just phased out when someone sells off livestock and/or land and no longer need an LGD. My female was due to the former owner selling off all herds. Just a couple of horses left. And the male belonged to a very elderly gentleman that could no longer care for livestock, etc. and his family put him in assisted living. The foster farm had probably another 10 dogs there, all due to no fault in how the dog worked...just circumstances where they no longer had animals to guard.

It is incredible to watch them work. When I brought the female home first I walked her around the perimeter of the pasture and in the barn to introduce her and I could tell she just wanted to get with the herd of goats. Turned her loose, she went and sniffed each goat, and started working patrolling the fence line. We had a lot of hawks, owls and turkey vultures as well as coyote and opossum. She would run under any bird of prey until it cleared the fence line.

As for an adult...if you work with a rescue they generally have an experienced working foster home so the dogs are evaluated and kept working. Working Pyrs get rather upset if they don't have livestock and/or are kept up in a house or inside dog run. They WANT and need to be outside. As for worrying about the reason they need a home...many are just phased out when someone sells off livestock and/or land and no longer need an LGD. My female was due to the former owner selling off all herds. Just a couple of horses left. And the male belonged to a very elderly gentleman that could no longer care for livestock, etc. and his family put him in assisted living. The foster farm had probably another 10 dogs there, all due to no fault in how the dog worked...just circumstances where they no longer had animals to guard.
That would be awesome to watch! And I love how they WANT to be outside...a dog with a job to do is such a good asset...
And you are right about one coming from a rescue.. I feel the rescue workers have some insight into each dog whereas ones at a shelter or Craigslist are surrendered because the people may not have known what they were getting into.. thank you again!

I had one several years ago that I got as an adult from the "dog pound." She was never trained and I didn't have any chickens then, just other dogs and cats. She would bark a lot if anything was amiss. I live in suburbia. She knew where all the neighbors lived and would bark if one neighbor went onto another neighbor's property. One of our cats swatted her, so she forever considered both cats evil. She would bark at visitors who tried to pet the cats - "Stay away from them! They are evil!" We had a fenced yard and she would walk the perimeter frequently, wore out a path all along the fence. I think she had been kept outside a lot before we got her and she wanted to be outside all the time for awhile after we got her. Then she realized it was really nice laying on the couch instead of being out in the rain, but still always like being outside guarding the world. They have an amazing instinct to protect and know when something's not right.
She sounds lovely.. thank you for your response...

Back
Top Bottom