Does anyone have a lone silkie in their flock?

mom2jedi

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
San Diego, CA
On another post LilPeeps said silkies do better if they have a friend. If I do that, I'd have to give up my bantam brahma. The other five would be standards (I don't have any yet). Would a silkie be okay by itself if it has another bantam that's closer to its size?

Help!

Our Silkie roo (Motorcycle) lived in our flock for 5 years as asingle lone Silkie. We now have hatched over 100 babies that are 1st, 2nd, and now 3rd generation Silkie mixes just from him! He lived a great life until a dog bit him! He was amongst nothing but standards for 4 years before we acquired another bantam roo.
big_smile.png

I have a silkie roo in my standard flock. His half brother is my only other roo and is a bit bigger. The girls want nothing to do with George the silkie and Oliver barely tolerates him. I'll probably add some silkie hens for him at some point.

Quote:
Does she do okay by herself? I'm hoping two small chickens will fare better with the standards than one by itself.

We had a lone silkie hen for a year with our standards. She grew up with them and
we never had a problem. It was harder getting het to stay with then new silkie flock.

When my what are now sixteen-week-old Orpingtons were about eight weeks old, I bought a rooster and two hens silkies. I gave away the rooster and one of the hens. The new hen went straight in with the Orps with no problem: however, socially, she didn't seem to fit it, e.g., she can't get up on the roost with them, and she's not like them in many ways. She hatched a single week old chick last week to keep her company, and she's as happy as a lark. I sure hope the chick turns out to be a hen because if it's a rooster, I won't keep it. If it's a female chick, it's mother and it will be much happier having each other together when they join the three hens and one rooster Orpingtons.

Back
Top Bottom