Does anyone have aggressive red star hens?

Amylia

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2015
Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always thought red stars were fairly docile. I just got two red star hens. And, they are brutal! I'm not sure I want to introduce my leghorn pullets into the backyard coop/run for a perminant home. The little interaction that I allowed was quickly STOPPED. Regardless of space, the hens won't let the younger ones eat, drink, or even be seen. Even with multiple feed/water stations, the younger ones weren't allowed. Any suggestions? Anyone else have aggressive red stars?

hi, i'm new to this crazy venture - don'tknow what breed you have but my "aggressive gal" looks medium red with light line along wing base. I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of her -- she drew blood tonite. I've had her - as well as her nest buddies -- for 10 days now and she didn't peck right away, but started after I let her out.

That's scary! I don't want to see any more attacks or blood. It breaks my heart! And, it seems the best layer is the most aggressive...so the decision gets more difficult. But I don't like the stress of having to worry about than...

That's scary! I don't want to see any more attacks or blood. It breaks my heart! And, it seems the best layer is the most aggressive...so the decision gets more difficult. But I don't like the stress of having to worry about than...
so what would you recommend?

Hi - I love this site!!! So helpful. So what is recommendation? Who would take an aggressive gal? When I introduced the 3 newbies there was some chest purffing and my welly had some blood on her beak - now,however, they all seem to get along -- sitting in shade in older 3's pen today
but I pushed the pecker away and don't want to swat her but it is painful and did draw blood today--don't know if I haveto worry about infection? Do I?

Chickens can be brutal creatures. In my bantam coop I have two girls that are just under a year old and am currently integrating three new chicks into the flock. I have a barrier set up in both the run and coop to protect the new chicks while they grow up, and so the group can get to know each other without the risk of attacks. The one girl basically ignores the newbies unless they are right in front of her, in which case she'll try to throw in an opportunistic peck at them. The other paces the fence trying to find a way in to kill them. As the younger ones grow up and as they see more of each other the aggression will subside, but it'll still be a bit tense while they sort out a pecking order.

This is a really good article on adding new chickens to your flock: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/06/integrating-new-flock-members-playpen.html

Thank you for the info. I don't have any recommendations. I'm trying to get information to find a solution...

Che article provided some great info. I think I was already following this method, but didn't realize it.
My pullets are in a run extension that is next to the red stars run and coop, but speparated by fencing. Day 2 and all is well so far. I hope things go better when they all are in one pen. I don't plan on that for a couple of weeks. I'm too chicken and scared! I don't want any of my chickens injured! I love them!

I still haven't been able to integrate my 2 red star hens with my 2 white leghorn hens. The refs are so aggressive that they torn one of the white leghorns beak. And both leghorns stay bloody it so sad. I'm on my fifth try in 3 months to integrate them. Are there some cases where hens just can't get along?

I found that the production reds and red star birds were very difficult in my mixed breed flock; pushy, feather picking little dears. I moved them on, and have no desire to try them again.. I'm sure that there might be mellower birds of this type somewhere, but I never found them! Move them on and regroup if you need to, and get birds that are more compatible. Mary

Back
Top Bottom