does anyone have any experience with......

I don't have a RIR (I am a bit skittish about breeds developed for massive egg production...they seem to be more prone to becoming egg bound), but I DO have a speckled sussex, and she is a doll. She hasn't started laying yet, but she is inquisitive, friendly, and follows me around like a puppy dog (begging for treats of course). She does not care to be picked up, but that is kindof by design. My thinking is, with the amount of predators in my area, a chicken that is complacent in being picked up off the ground is an easy target.

However, if I am sitting down, she may come and stand on my knee.

P1000106-1.jpg

Snow begging for treats (even though there are still treats on the ground!)

I have 2 of each...One of my RIR will jump in my lap and sit there until I put her down...One of my SS is called Brave Chicken and is the first one to try/do anything and is the first one to the door to greet me!

thank you soo much everyone!
to kari-dawn, your chickens are sooooo pretty!whaat breeds are they?
also,I emailed the lady the has these chickens last night and got a little bit more information. These chicks are all 2 months old, will they be all right if I put them inside the coop with the big girls? I have two hens, both are darling to people and eachother, but when it comes to other chickens..... one just doesn't like newcomers, I'm afraid the little guys would get picked on.....
There is another option, i can get two one-year-olds, aspeckled sussex and a columbian wyandotte. I really like the production reds though.
hmm.png

so I'm torn, which do you think is the better option?
thanks again!
-roxyblue

Last edited:
o.k I have bantam rirs and they are so sweet and smart. which ever ones you do get, remember you have to quarintine them for a month before you mix them with your other hens. Just to be sure they are o.k.
Don't want to lose them all, if they are sick.
good luck with which ever ones you choose:D

my big girls are blue laced red wyandottes, salmon faverolle, easter egger, and speckled sussex.

In my experience, it is far better to quarantine the new birds for a period of at least 14 days to make sure they do not have anything they could pass on to your original girls. Intros come later, and we can help you with that too!

Here is how I do it: pictures included. This is in response to another person who asked the same questions. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=594111

Last edited:
thank you!
yup I'm definantly doing quaretine, thankyou for posting that link, it has really good descriptions. Are your wyandottes good layers?
thanks again
-roxyblue

ha ha I don't know yet! They haven't started laying
he.gif
They are about 21 weeks, but no signs of squatting or any other hint that there may be eggs in my future...except for ever reddening combs!

Last year my hens didn't start laying untill spring, consider yourself....lucky?
you still have that moment of suprise and joy when you find your first egg in the future.
wink.png

good luck!
-roxyblue

research,research,research.
but one thing I can't find is which breed lays the longest? (the wyandottes or the RIR)
anybody have the answer/
thanks!
-roxyblue

Back
Top Bottom