Does anyone have any silkie crosses, and with what?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jason_mazzy, Jan 19, 2011.

1. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    I am interested in obtaining and learning about silkie crosses. I was thinking a silkie crossed with a plymouth barred would be great. If you found a good bird you would have a decent sized decent laying and broody female. Anyone brought silkie into a layer or meat bird and wind up with a good sized mama?

2. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Did you see what a nut I've been over my Silkie crosses? Oh I love them. They are the sweetest things, and not bad looking.
    DannyBoy is 18 weeks old today: looks like a blue rosecomb, but pet him and its like velvet pudding in your hands, he's soooooo soft:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the chance to post his picture again. Old ladies like me are thrilled when we learn a new techie skill, like uploading and posting photos!

3. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    I have some LF Brahma/Silkie crosses. Don't remember exactly how old they are....8wks maybe. Won't know for awhile longer, but currently I'd still consider them to favor bantam size more.

4. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I have a silkie crossed with something i am not sure of. she is really pretty with orange and black markings. she just laid her first egg yesterday

5. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

partrige plymoth roc hen k and silkiee roo cross she lays a light color bantum egg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  6. msdoolittle

msdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I had 3 Bantam Cochin/Silkie crosses. Of course, they all turned out roos. One was this really crazy, just unreal coloration (he was eaten by a coon), and the other 2 are white with walnut combs. The larger one is well...pretty ugly, but the smallest one has the build of a Silkie with the hard feathering and fullness of a Cochin. :0)

7. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    I think I would like to get some if anyone has any in NC or SC area

8. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    Darn, too bad you're not closer. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by