Does anyone have experience with a rabbit-type feeder?

3CityChicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
Tacoma, WA
I have a flock of 3 (1 Columbian Wyandotte and 2 Welsummers) that will be 8 weeks on Thursday. The Wyandotte is slow to feather, so I imagine I'll have them inside for another week or two. I'm looking to conserve floor space in their coop and am trying to find a solution for feed that will hang on the wall. Has anyone used one of these wall-mount rabbit type feeders?

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Supplies/Solid-Bottom-Feeder-7-42-oz-capacity-p603.aspx

My concern is that my Columbian Wyandotte is pretty talented at flinging feed out of the small-holed chick feeder. Maybe if mounted high enough? I like that it's compact, and with 3 chickens, I don't need anything larger. I've also read nearly ever thread here about the PVC feeders/waterers, and those are tempting, but as a single girl, I kind of like the non-DIY solution!

Thanks in advance!

I used this feeder for a while. My girls would have it emptied and their food flung about the interior run more often than not. I still have it, but do not recommend unless you have no other choice.

hu.gif

Hmm... that was my fear. Thanks for the feedback. Why doesn't anyone make a wall mount with the small holes? That would be a perfect solution. Wish I were handy, maybe I could MacGuyver some solution.

I have been using a Little Giant Chow Hound outdoor feeder in my coop, and had great success with it. It came for free with a dog house I bought used from a couple, and I saw it and instantly though CHICKEN FEEDER! The part that has the food in it is walled so if they sling, they just end up slinging it into the sides, and back into the trough.

Quote:
I found a picture of it online, but it looks like it has some kind of swing door that a dog would push its head against. How does that work? Or maybe you just removed the door? There must be some kind of mechanism inside to keep the food from flowing too freely.

I have a similar feeder<baby pig feeder> mounted on each of my coop's doors where it's high enough that they don't fling the food out too much. They do waste a little, but no more than they would any other feeder. I just cut 2 pieces of 1X2 and mounted one where the screws could be screwed in at the top to hold the feeder and then the other one is screwed underneath about 3/4 of way down to make the feeder hang evenly and not slant in while hanging. This saves floor space where the food is and if it needs cleaning up under where they eat, I scoop that out with a dust pan and empty into compost. I also use those feeders up on cinder blocks to hold oyster shell and grit. Also put high enough that they can get to it, but not sling it out and waste it.

Quote:
I found a picture of it online, but it looks like it has some kind of swing door that a dog would push its head against. How does that work? Or maybe you just removed the door? There must be some kind of mechanism inside to keep the food from flowing too freely.

When I got mine, that door was already set in a position back against the wall of the feeder, let me put on shoes and go out and look at it......

Okay, I looked at it, and the back of the hopper is at a slant to control the flow of food, and the lid that the dog would push on to get its food has edges that you can push into that back side of the hopper, locking it into place and making a feeding trough. The food doesn't flow freely, it is controlled and works beautifully.

I have been eveyballing similar feeders. Seems they'd work nicely.

SuQIQg8xYUP4LhXkQ7K5VmpJuE2ITMvXXmdCYsXOASfb5xk8Oq5k6Z0uj6VKlJR4HRcAwYtxQfj8N0vmKHcq7psmBaHVO7ej1BJ3yAKkFKYU81m7XocfbQaCmRmabRAIEpbD8Gj589YaQ-GbUw84my-l-uXixw4gJ8RlVGYpIcFavmzN6w=s90-c

I know you say you are not a big DIY'er, but one thing I have discovered that seems to help keep feed in the feeders is to have a lip on the container. I got the idea with some of those splash proof dog bowls. I simply put a piece of duct tape across the front of my feeder to hold the feed (looks similar to this)

spill-proof-water-dish-300x223.jpg

Back
Top Bottom