does anyone have one of these?

NAID and other breeds closly related have VERY strong prey drives. And SHOULD NOT be kept with small animals. They are one of the hardest to train dogs, and one of the stubornest of that!
I strongly suggest not getting this dog for you flock. Why not get a Pyr. or similar breed?

Maybe it comes from growing up around Navajos - and watching the types of dogs they'd raise to take out to the reservation for herding sheep, but everything about this dog makes me think some people figured if they'd tag it Native American Indian Dog and they'd have a better gimmick to sell their mixed breed dog.

Very pretty Dogs. I 'm not sure I'd get one as a flock guardian. They look like they were developed from breeding Malamutes and Wolves. I wouldn,t want either guarding my Flock. We had a Malamute for many years-She killed every other critter she encountered except her dog pack mates. I also had a Wolf Hybrid Many moons ago and I loved him dearly but he was not a good pet.

I have a malamute wolf mix and he is absolutely fine around my chickens. He will chase them if I am chasing them trying to catch one. He is a wonderful dog and gets along with every animal he encounters. He loves our baby peeps and once I found some kittens and he would mother them and give them baths and make sure the did not wander to far from the others. It is all in how you train them.

Quote:
I respectfully disagree...I've spent my whole life living with, breeding, training, rescuing, fostering, etc...dogs. I've had some experience with nearly every breed and continue to work with my local shelter and rescue organization. Every breed of dog has certain inherent temperament traits that they were specifically bred for and took a great deal of effort to achieve. Of course every single dog is an individual and there is always some discrepancy amongst individuals but to believe that "it's all in how you train them" is dangerous.

Your specific hybrid's lineage has significant influence on it's behavior. Of course there is also a lot of people who are either misinformed or mislead into believing they own a hybrid when in fact they have a mixed breed domestic dog with similar physical traits of a wolf. Regardless, your individual experience is not necessarily true for all hybrids. In my own experience I've seen dogs known for sweet disposition with horrible temperaments and vice versa...I've also found that there are certain characteristics to expect with certain breeds, despite the exceptions, it's always safe to account for the breed(s) when projecting future behavior.

Quote:
I am allergic to the furr we had a German Shepherd Mix for years he passed away 3 years ago and my asthma has been nonexistant since and I still have the Lhasa in my Avatar Dusty is 13. So I know with the right dog hair not furr I will be fine

Back
Top Bottom