Does anyone have "RAISED" Chicken Coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Elite Silkies, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I am searching for ideas for raised chicken coops. Who recommends welded wire floors and who does not? I would like to the raise the floor of my chicken coops and use 1x1 welded wire.

2. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    I would be worried about thier feet slipping through and getting stuck in a 1"x1". Have you thought about using 1/2"x1/2" hardware cloth?

3. jpsbcfc

jpsbcfc Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    west midlands, uk
    hi i have 1 raised coop, its a shed so has the usual wooden floor.

if i was doing it all again i would put mesh under their roosts (they dont walk on there anyway) to allow the poop to drop through into a trough at the bottom.

i wouldnt use mesh for the whole floor tho, as above i would worry their feet slipping through and maybe getting stuck.

plus it could get awfully cold

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Here are pics of my raised coops and brooders with wire floor. I love the raised coops with wire floor but I like to put hay inside to catch the poop. It's so easy to clean that way. Take out the old hay and put in the new hay. And the wire is still clean.

Wire Floor Raised Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hay Bedding On Wire Floor:
    [​IMG]

Shelf Liner Placed On Wire For Babies
    [​IMG]

Raised Brooders With Wire Floor
    [​IMG]

Hay and Puppy Pad Lining on Wire Floor
    [​IMG]

Pic of Broody hen in raised brooder with hay bedding on wire
    [​IMG]

Inside Raised Brooder:
    [​IMG]

Lined Raised Brooder - Pic of Inside (floor):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Kuntrygirl your pens are awesome!! Thank you so much [​IMG] Adult Silkies will be in these raised coops, so what do you suggest on wire size 1/2 x 1/2 or 1 x 1??

7. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Quote:So what's the difference between this and a regular coop floor with litter that you scoop out and replace and leave the floor clean?

8. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    I have a few "direct deposit" coops as I call them. They have rat wire floors and are positioned over my compost bins that I built out of pallets. It's handy because I never have to clean them and the poop goes right where I want it- in the bin! Toss in some leaves, pine tags, garden waste, etc. and you have yourself a low maintenance set up.

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Thank you. Adult Silkies..... Are they the same size as bantams? I'm not familiar with their size.

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:So what's the difference between this and a regular coop floor with litter that you scoop out and replace and leave the floor clean?

In my opinion, the ventilation helps with the smell. Having a chicken coop with minimal smell is VERY important to me because I have about 165 chickens. The fumes would be overwhelming for me. That's why I have so many chicken coops.

Not only are my coops raised, they are open air.

People also like raised coops because you can use the bottom of the coop for other things. My animals go under the raised coop to get out of the rain, to take a nap etc., so they don't have to go inside of a coop and be stuck in there all day. It's all about fresh air and fresh smells for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by