Does anyone here feed quail to their snake?

Way to resurrect a 6 year old thread by walking in the door with an insult for your first and last post.

I have a 4.5 foot ball python who has only ever eaten live rats of various ages.   

I didn't get the quail to feed to my snake because I didn't realize you could.  But, now that I've got both, I'm considering the quail as an inexpensive food supply for the snake as well as us.  Haha. 

Anyone do it?  She can handle a full size rat, so I'm thinking that when these quail are 4 weeks old they'll be a good size for her.    Advice?

Thanks,

Emily

1 ball pythons can be finicky eaters and if are not extremely hungry or used to birds they may refuse it. But Ball Pythons are one of the few that DO and Will eat birds. My Autum as we speak is choking down a baby Cornish hen it is pretty big next will be a medium rat to round off her feast.
2) To those who say if it eats other things get a different pet well the circle of life requires all things eat other living thingsor once alive things it's nature's recycling center get over it.
3) Basic size ruling a snake can eat it the size of the fattest part of their abdomen not after a major fasting but after eating what you say is normal to plumpin up that.body.
4) I know original post is old but never know may be useful to someone else currently looking for cheaper more readily available food for their Pythons.

Last edited:
Please be nice. If you have nothing to add to the topic of feeding one's pet with live animals, please move on. Thanks.
4. No Trolling (posting to provoke others, luring them to flame or rant). Trolling is sometimes done involuntarily, so please be considerate when posting.​
If you have nothing to add, please don't post.​
As an aside, I was raising some hamsters for a friends snake, but she had to stop feeding them because the snake was starting to refuse eating the frozen mice from the store when the hamster supply was in a lull.​

It is not always a question regarding ethical/unethical practices and discussions but about the legal ramifications depending on where you live.

It is a responsibility for reptile owners to know the legal requirements for their specific country.

In Australia for example, It is illegal in NSW to feed live vertebrate animals to reptiles or amphibians. They need to be humanely pre-killed (such as frozen) before being presented as food. Only invertebrates can be live fed. In some cases where force feeding is not an option and your animal faces possible death due to not eating, you can apply for a special permit requesting live feeding of vertebrates (and even these are not guaranteed to be accepted). Fines, animal confiscation and even jail time can result for breeching this aspect of the State/Territory legislation.

It is important for owners to understand what they legally can and cannot feed their reptiles so while forums like this are great for owners to share information and stories, please disclaim that what is ok in one country is not applicable for others.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom