Does anyone know about banana plants?

FloorCandy

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
I bought this tiny banana plant this spring, it arrived bare roots and about 4-5 inches tall. It has grown tremendously and I’ve potted several suckers, the first of which has rooted nicely. It was sold as a dwarf musa cavendish.

However, as it grows, the leaves are purple in the center, and I can’t find any info online about this type having purple on the leaves. I’m wondering if it’s some kind of hybrid, or not at all the type I ordered. Here are some pics, the early leaves were green, now they all grow in purply:

4B98E717-57A0-4C9D-BAD6-50EA459CA678.jpeg

here are some suckers:
14224172-854B-4C20-87AC-6AE88D33E7A5.jpeg

Is this normal? I’ve never grown bananas before.

I just looked this up online: "The other nutrients needed for the banana production are phosphorus, magnesium, boron and sulfur. In a phosphorus deficient banana plant, the leaves will turn yellow at their margins, purple spots on the leaves and curling of the leaves." Here is a link to the site: banana.

I just looked this up online: "The other nutrients needed for the banana production are phosphorus, magnesium, boron and sulfur. In a phosphorus deficient banana plant, the leaves will turn yellow at their margins, purple spots on the leaves and curling of the leaves." Here is a link to the site: banana.
Thank you for the link. I read the article and I ordered a banana fertilizer. The leaves aren’t curling or yellow, so I’m not certain, but banana fertilizer can’t hurt I suppose!

I bought this tiny banana plant this spring, it arrived bare roots and about 4-5 inches tall. It has grown tremendously and I’ve potted several suckers, the first of which has rooted nicely. It was sold as a dwarf musa cavendish.

However, as it grows, the leaves are purple in the center, and I can’t find any info online about this type having purple on the leaves. I’m wondering if it’s some kind of hybrid, or not at all the type I ordered. Here are some pics, the early leaves were green, now they all grow in purply:

View attachment 2772174

here are some suckers:
View attachment 2772173

Is this normal? I’ve never grown bananas before.
I know my response is a bit late from your post, but as far as I’m aware ( I keep a few banana plants) its just a normal type of banana colouring. My friend also has purple on her banana plants, some leaves more than others, and we both have big and healthy plants!

I know my response is a bit late from your post, but as far as I’m aware ( I keep a few banana plants) its just a normal type of banana colouring. My friend also has purple on her banana plants, some leaves more than others, and we both have big and healthy plants!
Oops I should add I don’t know the breed names, but it’s pretty standard coloring with the banana trees sold where I am!

I bought fertilizer for it, and the purple has faded. Most leaves are green now. It worked like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom