Does anyone know about how much an autopsy on a chicken would cost? Just lost my best hen 1 minute a

littleflocker

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 7, 2011
Island County WA
( month old silver laced wyandotte chicken good regular layer just died.
sad.png

Check your local ag school. Mine charges $35 for a necropsy on any animal. If you don't have a vet school around you, you'll have to find a vet that will do it. Most pet vets don't deal with chickens, and most large animal vets don't either. So you'll have to find a vet that works with birds, and ask them what they charge.

idk wat wouldve made her die i had to shoot 1 of my golden laced wyandotte hens yesterday she was ill from something i have no clue wat was wrong with her. at 1st i thought she was egg bound cuz she ddnt lay any eggs for awhile plus she was acting & showing sighns as if she was egg bound so i keep her in the basement for like 4 or 5 days she ddnt eat much she drank lots of water but still ddnt lay any eggs she wasnt layed out she was only 2 years old so she had 1 more year of layn in her she wasnt getn any better so i just did her a favor and shot her so she wouldnt suffer no more

Thanks for the replies and advice. She just walked out of the nest box after laying a perfect egg and out the run door to join the others in free time. When she ran out she just stopped and sat down and faded away in a few minutes. I already built a box and buried her in the back forty. I think i am over the necropsy. It just had to be my favorite hen. FMFL

My 10 month old Wyandot died yesterday the same way. Walked out of the hen house, walked out to the run to be with others and layed down and died. I read that young hens coming into the laying cycle are stressed and can have heart failure. The other hens are the same age and are fine. So sudden, she was the largest and healthy looking of the hens and a good layer, she will be missed.

My 10 month old Wyandot died yesterday the same way. Walked out of the hen house, walked out to the run to be with others and layed down and died. I read that young hens coming into the laying cycle are stressed and can have heart failure. The other hens are the same age and are fine. So sudden, she was the largest and healthy looking of the hens and a good layer, she will be missed.

I am sorry for your loss. Our girl who died was also one of the healthiest, most active hens and hands down the best forager. We were shocked that it happened to her. She was one of a kind. like a dog.

I deal with several vets and the basic necropsy (non human autopsy is called a necropsy) is between $20 to about $40, this is just the basics and will tell you if there are any larger parasites or an egg bound hen but if it is something like a microscopic parasite or needs cultures done the price goes way up. My vet charges $35 for the basic examination and then the price for a detailed necropsy starts at $75 (+ the original $35) and if there are cultures done I have to add on another $60. For a complete and detailed result the cost is $165, but you will know exactly what it was that killed the hen.

Back
Top Bottom