Does anyone know any quick/easy ways to make a duck shelter?in winter

rooster brandon.

Songster
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
Kodak, by knoxville
Ok i was suddenly given a pekin duck and i have a 50ftx40 horse pen that we have no use for except for now that will be his pen and all i need now is a easy/fast way to make a shelter for him.Any ideas,the reason it has to be quick is because he is in a medium dog taxi he cant stay in that for long.....Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Hay bales can be used to make a quick duck shelter. If the horse pen can be secured at night all he really needs for sleeping is 3 walls and a roof.

Dog houses are good, straw bales too. Or any large container that you can add a makeshift door to--what about one of those large wooden electrical reels with an end cut out and a tarp over the top?

Do you need predator protection, or just weather shelter?

Look around your house, basement & garage for any structure that has a box-like shape to it. You can add sides with whatever materials you have on hand.

Another option is a hexayurt. Buy eight sheets of plywood in equal sizes, and lots of duct tape. Tape six sheets on their sides into a hexagon. It will be self-supporting, but you'll have to cut a door. Add a flat roof with the other two sheets of plywood, or just 2 x 4s with a tarp thrown over.

However, whatever you do, the duck may not use the shelter unless you force it. Strange shapes scare them.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Back
Top Bottom