1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone know any quick/easy ways to make a duck shelter?in winter

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rooster brandon., Jan 7, 2011.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Ok i was suddenly given a pekin duck and i have a 50ftx40 horse pen that we have no use for except for now that will be his pen and all i need now is a easy/fast way to make a shelter for him.Any ideas,the reason it has to be quick is because he is in a medium dog taxi he cant stay in that for long.....Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Get him a bigger dog taxi and lock him in it at night. You might want to buid a box of something over it just for added protection from the weather and predators. Alot of people on here use dog taxis.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Hay bales can be used to make a quick duck shelter. If the horse pen can be secured at night all he really needs for sleeping is 3 walls and a roof.

4. I thought I would mention it would be really good to find him a duckie friend too.
    It's usually torture for a duck to be without another duck.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:ditto

6. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Well if i could i would of done got a bigger pet taxi but there are none on craigslist oh and lets just say he is covered on a duck friend i got some for him........

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Dog houses are good, straw bales too. Or any large container that you can add a makeshift door to--what about one of those large wooden electrical reels with an end cut out and a tarp over the top?

Do you need predator protection, or just weather shelter?

Look around your house, basement & garage for any structure that has a box-like shape to it. You can add sides with whatever materials you have on hand.

Another option is a hexayurt. Buy eight sheets of plywood in equal sizes, and lots of duct tape. Tape six sheets on their sides into a hexagon. It will be self-supporting, but you'll have to cut a door. Add a flat roof with the other two sheets of plywood, or just 2 x 4s with a tarp thrown over.

However, whatever you do, the duck may not use the shelter unless you force it. Strange shapes scare them.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by