Does anyone know how to sex young Silkies?

Sounds like you've already been given a lot of good advice! I'm happy to mention what I look out for as well though. :)

I usually start seeing more definite signs of sex at 10-12 weeks (with the occasional late bloomer). I do believe it does depend on the line though, some mature more quickly than others.

The presence of streamers has been my number one indication I've got a little male. Although there are cases of pullets getting streamers it is typically very rarely seen. I haven't ever had a female grow streamers personally in the couple years I've been breeding. Unfortunately streamers often haven't grown in much or at all at just 8 weeks. If you do see any with obvious streamers steer clear if you don't want boys!

With chicks only 5-8 weeks old I'd probably go off the comb as the number one criteria to get a better chance at females. Avoid wide and/or raised combs. The flatter and narrower the better for a better chance of getting pullets.

I've noticed in my own line and in quite a few other breeders lines I've hatched from that vaults or more common in females. It really does depend on the line though. From what I've hatched in a line where most don't have vaults it's a good bet almost all those with vaults are females. In a line with around 50% having vaults you've probably got around a 75% chance of the vaulted being girls. If there are 75% or more with vaults picking out the vaulted only will probably not result in a lot more girls than boys but it's pretty likely that most non vaulted are boys in this line. I'm not sure how accurate this is but it's just what I've observed from hatching out both other breeders eggs and eggs from my own flock.

5-8 week olds are kind of young for judging crest size/roundness but I do find my girls more often have a little more crest even at that age. I do get males with large crests and females with small crests but on average the girls have the larger crests (though this may also be linked to vaulted vs non vaulted).

Stance and size can also be an indicator but I've had it trick me often enough I don't rely on it alone.

Good luck! Chicks only 5-8 weeks old are probably going to be tough to sex but I hope the tips you've got will help skew the odds in favor of getting a pullet. :)

Last edited:
I don't think there is any way to be sure that you are buying females at that age unless the seller is willing to send samples to a lab to determine sex for you.

If you are trying to sex them by sight, the most important thing to look at is the comb. For a female, it should be small and pretty much flat to the head, and not too wide. Males will have larger, more pronounced combs. If wattles are present, that's an indication of a possible male too.

If it is really important to you to only get females, you should buy older birds. They will cost more but with an honest seller you will then get exactly what you want.
Yeah, I will definitely look at the combs!!! Thanks!

Sounds like you've already been given a lot of good advice! I'm happy to mention what I look out for as well though. :)

I usually start seeing more definite signs of sex at 10-12 weeks (with the occasional late bloomer). I do believe it does depend on the line though, some mature more quickly than others.

The presence of streamers has been my number one indication I've got a little male. Although there are cases of pullets getting streamers it is typically very rarely seen. I haven't ever had a female grow streamers personally in the couple years I've been breeding. Unfortunately streamers often haven't grown in much or at all at just 8 weeks. If you do see any with obvious streamers steer clear if you don't want boys!

With chicks only 5-8 weeks old I'd probably go off the comb as the number one criteria to get a better chance at females. Avoid wide and/or raised combs. The flatter and narrower the better for a better chance of getting pullets.

I've noticed in my own line and in quite a few other breeders lines I've hatched from that vaults or more common in females. It really does depend on the line though. From what I've hatched in a line where most don't have vaults it's a good bet almost all those with vaults are females. In a line with around 50% having vaults you've probably got around a 75% chance of the vaulted being girls. If there are 75% or more with vaults picking out the vaulted only will probably not result in a lot more girls than boys but it's pretty likely that most non vaulted are boys in this line. I'm not sure how accurate this is but it's just what I've observed from hatching out both other breeders eggs and eggs from my own flock.

5-8 week olds are kind of young for judging crest size/roundness but I do find my girls more often have a little more crest even at that age. I do get males with large crests and females with small crests but on average the girls have the larger crests (though this may also be linked to vaulted vs non vaulted).

Stance and size can also be an indicator but I've had it trick me often enough I don't rely on it alone.

Good luck! Chicks only 5-8 weeks old are probably going to be tough to sex but I hope the tips you've got will help skew the odds in favor of getting a pullet. :)
Thank you! All of you have given me a lot of good advice. When I get some I will send some pictures for you all to look at!!!

Back
Top Bottom