****does anyone know this breed of dog personaly?presa canario-update*****

dinahmoe

Songster
10 Years
Sep 19, 2009
central georgia
i have been looking for a puppy for our family.i want a big dog to grow up with my kids.i have 2 blue heelers so i can handle stubborn dogs.lol
i am pretty good at handling dogs and i am the pack leader .
i don't know anything about them and read articles where one said they were bred for livestock(cattle) protection and another said for fighting.if they are for fighting i don't want them.
we have kids,dogs,cats,chickens,horses,pigs and sheep.

i came across some puppies that are mixed with this and rottweiler.that should make a big dog.i love rotties but again don't know about the other.

Last edited:
Presas can be very tough dogs, and some lines are downright volatile. They are not just housepets, you will need to be prepared to do serious obedience training on an ONGOING basis, and perhaps consider some dog sports to get into to keep the dog engaged.

Rotties are great dogs, but there are a lot of garbage breeders out there making dogs with unsound health and temperaments.

My bet is that this mixed litter is out of two less than stellar dogs, and I would pass on it unless you are REALLY knowledgable about dogs and both breeds. Which, you arent, since you are asking about the breed. It could be great, but it is asking for a dog rife with hip dysplasia, entropion, cardiac issues and bad temperament..

Cane Corsos are a little easier going than Presas, IME

you are right,i don't know anything about the presas but i have been looking at big dog breeds.thats why i wanted some tips from someone who actually had one.i can't go by reading alone.i have made some questions up for the person who has these dogs and will do a thorough questionaire.my feeling is that it will be something like "i have a rottie and you have a presas so lets just breed them"
i love the mastiff type dogs tho and was just curious.we are a stay at home family and outdoors 80% of the time.it would never be in a kennel or chained up but probably in my sons' bedroom at night.

iam looking for a breed that when my kids go on a walks in the woods the dog go with them but not want to kill all my animals .we have 2 heelers but they were mine before i had kids so that means she is always with me if i am around.my son throws the ball for her but she brings the ball back to me.lol

thank you for the info.
this will not be a quick decision.

have you thought about great pyraneese ? or antolian shepards .. or catahulas? if you can handle healers the last two should be easy for you .. and pyranees are gentle giants .. great heard protecters .. ? all three are big and kid orientated .. especially if you socialize them well....

thank you.
that is what i need to know.
smile.png

Cane Corso OK maybe, Presa definitely not for kids.

hi,
well i am looking to get a dog to be with the kids all the time..we have 70 acres and have talked about a pyrenees for the livestock but i want something to go where ever they go.in the truck or house.
i would want the pyrenees dog to be a strictly working dog.would the kuvasz,anatolian type dogs be happy without protecting livestock and just being with kids.those types of dogs that i know don't "play" so to speak.they are very serious all the time.

i rescued a catahoula once.she was 5yrs old,she growled and hated men.animal control called me because they knew i was her last hope.very difficult to handle at first.ended up being one of my best and yes she was very protective when needed to be.but i don't believe i could have had her and chickens or other smaller livestock.i also didn't have kids when i had her.i have thought about them tho.

here is my list so far:

another heeler-just wanted bigger
catahoula-prey drive?
rottie
smile.png

german shepard-not sure
bull mastiff
smile.png

st.bernard?-i remember dryfeus on golden girls was a st bernard/golden retriever mix-would love one of those.

registration is only important to me because of the health history.i do not plan on breeding anything.
mixes would be fine if i meet the parents

thanks for the advice

have you thought about great pyraneese ? or antolian shepards .. or catahulas? if you can handle healers the last two should be easy for you .. and pyranees are gentle giants .. great heard protecters .. ? all three are big and kid orientated .. especially if you socialize them well....

Presas were not bred as livestock dogs. The breed was developed as a man fighter and their job was to track down runaway slaves, and not too gently.

Probably a very well bred Presa from a very serious show hobby breeder who concentrates on breeding for good temperament, would be OK with kids. However, I would be more than extremely careful about where I purchased a Presa. A mixed breed, who by definition is bred by an irresponsible person, would not be where I would look for a dog with Presa genetics.

I feel the same about Rotts. They are very good dogs when well bred, but there are a lot of Rotts who should have never been brought in this world by people who are only interested in getting money for puppies. A well bred Rott from a serious fancier who is devoted to the breed and breeds for temperament would be suitable for children. A Rott from a different type of source would be too much of a risk.

Anyone who has deliberately bred a Rott to the Presa is probably intending to produce a fighting dog or an area guard. Unless you have marijuana fields,. you have no use for an area guard.

For protecting children I like the large herding breeds (not the drovers). A well bred Dobermann (again, be careful where you buy) is excellent for children. The very best dog you can buy to protect a child, that will not make a mistake in judgment, is the Leonberger.

I suggest that you pass on the Presa.

thank you so much.
so if this is true why on earth would you cross this breed with a rottie-unless like you said for the fighting ring.

Presas were not bred as livestock dogs. The breed was developed as a man fighter and their job was to track down runaway slaves, and not too gently.

Probably a very well bred Presa from a very serious show hobby breeder who concentrates on breeding for good temperament, would be OK with kids. However, I would be more than extremely careful about where I purchased a Presa. A mixed breed, who by definition is bred by an irresponsible person, would not be where I would look for a dog with Presa genetics.

I feel the same about Rotts. They are very good dogs when well bred, but there are a lot of Rotts who should have never been brought in this world by people who are only interested in getting money for puppies. A well bred Rott from a serious fancier who is devoted to the breed and breeds for temperament would be suitable for children. A Rott from a different type of source would be too much of a risk.

Anyone who has deliberately bred a Rott to the Presa is probably intending to produce a fighting dog or an area guard. Unless you have marijuana fields,. you have no use for an area guard.

For protecting children I like the large herding breeds (not the drovers). A well bred Dobermann (again, be careful where you buy) is excellent for children. The very best dog you can buy to protect a child, that will not make a mistake in judgment, is the Leonberger.

I suggest that you pass on the Presa.

ok i don't think i need to go any further with this breed and i am so glad i asked you guys first.

thanks everyone.

now gotta go look up Leonberger .lol

Back
Top Bottom