does anyone know what kind of ducks these are?

Those look too big to be Black East Indies. I'm sure they are Cayugas. How old are they now? Both can have white feathers until after their juvenile molt. Aging white is a different phenomenon all together. As females age, they begin to get more white feathers and some eventually turn almost solid white. That takes several years though.

Yeah, the curly tail feather means they are drakes. How big are they? It is hard to sometimes tell from pictures. If they are around 2 pounds, they are probably BEI. If they are considerably bigger, they are probably Cayugas.

They are 3 months old and huge! The one only has the few white dots on it's neck, and they have different color beaks. Other than that, they are identical.

Yes I would say Black Cayuga. I've seen some Cayuga ducks that do have white in their feathers. Could possibly be cross breed with Pekin. Really you never know, bc any male can fertilize an egg. I have 3 Cayuga ducklings and their mom and dad were solid black, but some of her previous offspring had started turning white.

But needless to say, I would bet they are Cayugas. You should google Black Cayuga and look under images, there are lots of pretty birds

Yeah, they are Cayugas then. At three months, they are still growing and changing. Their bills will continue to change and they may molt out that white (at least for awhile until the aging white begins to come in).

If they are kin to mallards, the one with the orange beak is a female, and the one with the lighter colored beak is a male. I'm not into exotic breeds, but they definately look like they have a lot of mallard in them.

Most absolutletly Cayuga. Rare and wonderful. I have 11 of these ducks at the moment, just google cayuga

Trish, 35 chickens, 16 ducks

I would have to say cayuga as well, though, unless they are very old they shouldn't have any white on them. One way to tell if they are pure or mixed is by the color of their feet and bills. They should be totally black, if they have any orange in them (feet and bills) they are probably mixed.

ETA: Just looked at the pic again. The one in the back does look to have orange and black feet, so probably mixed with pekin
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom