Does anyone know what this is?

nevrenufanimals

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 15, 2013
Southeast Louisiana
Just noticed it the other day. His behavior has been a little "off" and i saw that he had lost his feathers around his neck/ear area. See pictures. It's very dry and crusty.

Attachments

• Titan L ear 2.jpg
    Titan L ear 2.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Titan L ear.jpg
    Titan L ear.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Titan R ear.jpg
    Titan R ear.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 21
Can you check him for mites and lice to rule those out? Have you had any recent predator attacks, seen blood on coop floor, or had any bullying issues? Do you have any other roosters? To me it looks like an injury. He could be overmated by another rooster if you have others.

I do not see any lice or mites. No predator attacks. No blood noticed. He is the only rooster, and advanced in age (about 9 yrs old). He is in a flock with 6 standard size hens who have 2 attached runs of 50 ft sq and 312 ft sq.

I do not see any lice or mites. No predator attacks. No blood noticed. He is the only rooster, and advanced in age (about 9 yrs old). He is in a flock with 6 standard size hens who have 2 attached runs of 50 ft sq and 312 ft sq.
9 yrs old? I wonder if age has anything to do with it. Like, perhaps he's developing a skin condition? Can you peal any of it off? I had a Silkie who lost a patch skin with the feathers still on it. Nothing bled and I couldn't find an injury. It was weird and made no sense, but I'm questioning if your Silkie is got something similar going on.

None of the standards are plucking him, are they?

Just noticed it the other day. His behavior has been a little "off" and i saw that he had lost his feathers around his neck/ear area. See pictures. It's very dry and crusty.
looks like a fungal infection but once u check for lice i see bad skin texture in lice too i use Butox vet 1% solution in water bath them it works so fast

Can you please take some clear, close up well lit photos and post them full size so we can magnify them?

Thanks!

Lice nits come to mind.

Still hard to tell.
Could be Scaly Face Mites or a fungal infection.

Is the material crusty and does it peel off? What's underneath?

At the very least, I'd apply an anti-fungal cream to the skin and see if that helps the crusty material come off, the cream will probably help smother mites too.
When you get time to get newer photos that may be helpful.

Ivermectin Pour On can be used to treat mites as well, but I'd still use a cream on the crusty parts.

He's 9, so his age is catching up to him as well. With the balance issues, I'd work on getting him hydrated. He may benefit from poultry vitamins that contain B1 and E or you can just give him 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.
Take a look at his feet to see if he may need a nail trimming, sometimes that can put them off balance.
Lastly, if the crusty material is due to Scaly Face Mites or mites, then they may also be in the ears which can cause infection and balance issues too.

I have him isolated now and put a dose of ivermectin on him yesterday :) He's eating and drinking and comes when called but is staying in the warm area of his little pen. I'll treat all of the girls with ivermectin once it warms up. I think whatever this is bothers his eyes because he walks like he cant see. And is shaking his head.

Back
Top Bottom