Does anyone make a fine rake for raking/sifting bedding in a coop?

welsummerchicks

Songster
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
I'm thinking of something that would let me clean out my coop and leave the bedding. I have corn cob bedding so the bedding would fall right through even a very fine rake.

Quote:
That's what I got too; it's a small metal headed rake with a 2.5" pole handle. The rake head has 6 or 7 tines and it's pretty sturdy. I got mine on clearance at Menards in their garden department.

Ditto on the kitty litter scoop. Nothin' fancy, very affordable...it's what I use daily in my 6X6' coop. I keep 4" or so deep pine shavings on the floor & add as necessary. I completely clean it out as necessary, about every couple of months.
smile.png

ok..time for a stupid question... I use pine shavings in my coop.. I have a fork that I use to clean the stalls for the horses...that works to sift the "poop" from the shavings... but I can't see how a rake or any think would work for chicken poop.....

papeine, I'm with you. I don't understand how these forks could remove the chicken poops & let the shavings fall through. I googled "future fork" & I could see how it would work for horse poop, but have a hard time understanding how it could get the chicken poop & leave the shavings. The same with a kitty litter scoop. For those whoa are using a kitty litter scoop, do you just grab all the surrounding shavings as well?

well, I'm the one who posted about that 'future fork' I have one very similar though I think it's a different brand. It works very well, not perfectly but it gets any clumped matter out and leaves most of the shavings. (I use pine shavings) it's not perfect but I offered it as a suggestion since it works pretty well for me, use whatever you like.

Thanks so very much, PortageGirl. I'm glad to know that this kind of fork works well for you. Your answer cleared up my confusion. Even if the fork gets most of the droppings & leaves most of the shavings, that would be an improvement over what I'm doing now - donning latex gloves & picking out the largest poop by hand. Hand then using a yard rake to stir up the remaining pine shavings.

The next time I'm at the feed store, I'll look for one similar to the future fork. Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom