Does anyone make chili using dried beans?

I can dried beans and keep them in the pantry to use for chile and other recipes. So much cheaper and better than store bought! It's very easy if you have the pressure canner. I do 7 quarts at a time. You can do all one kind or some of one kind and some of another since they all have the same processing time.
The NCHFP.com website has all the instructions, including detailed instructions on using a pressure canner.

Quote:
I never knew this Thank-you

thumbsup.gif

me either... thanks mike

To add to what Mike said, I've not noticed that adding tomato to dried beans makes them tough so much as they take hours longer to cook. Same thing I suppose. I seem to recall reading that the Shakers/Quakers/Pilgrims or one of those figured out they could set the beans on before the sabbath and they would not get overcooked before the next day if they added something acidic.

Beans are the magical fruit.

Quote:
the more you eat the more you toot
gig.gif

sorry
hide.gif
my childish side came forward again... ;p;

I have not had good luck with dried dark red kidney beans when I've tried to make chili, even with no salt/ no acid.

I now use dried pinto beans or dried small red beans (or resort to canned dark red kidney beans). But, you're interested in dried beans.

The night before:
Rinse the beans under cold running water in a sieve or colander , picking out any rocks or "funky" looking beans.
Place beans in a gallon zip lock bag with 3x's as much warm water as you have beans.
Add 1/4 cup dried minced onion, 1/2 teaspoon garlic, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper & pinch of oregano to the bag.
Place bag in refrig overnight.

The next day, dump beans etc. out of the bag in a large pot and simmer slowly until they are almost done (just taste). Add water as needed. (Might take several hours. . . or use large crock pot.) Check them (taste them) & add more water if needed.

When beans are almost cooked, brown meat in hot skillet (pour off fat if you don't want it). Add a diced onion, minced clove of garlic, chopped up peppers (bell or variety of hot pepper) and scrape the good dark color off the bottom of the skillet. Saute until onions, etc are cooked. Then, add two cans of tomatoes, can of diced jalapenos, 1 tablespoon of cumin, 1/2 cup chili powder (ground chili peppers/not the stuff full of salt), 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 tablespoon of vinegar & as much hot sauce as you can tolerate to the meat mixture. Check beans, if done, dump in the cooked, meat, etc. and simmer for a few minutes. Salt to taste. We like our chili hot. It's always better the next day as all of the flavors have come together.

The measurements are approximate. . .I don't usually use recipes.

Whether I'm making chili or ham/beans, I've found that soaking beans overnight in a bag in the frig works well for me. For ham/beans, I put a diced onion, two diced carrots, two diced celery stocks, black pepper, & ham bone in the bag with the beans. I dump all in crock pot with plenty of water and come home to a hearty dinner after work.

I've also soaked beans (plain) overnight on the counter & added baking soda. Rinsing them the next morning until they don't foam. It's believed that the baking soda helps with the gas issues. I haven't noticed the difference myself. I like soaking them in water with seasonings in the refrig overnight because I think they taste better.

Good luck with your cooking.

well I made my chili....

I dont measure.... so forgive me...

I used about
2 handfuls of black beans
2 handfuls of white kidney beans
2 handfuls of pinto beans
3 handfuls of red kidney beans

I soaked them from about noon yesterday till about noon today...(I did it early so I would not forget)

I drained the water and covered the beans with fresh cold water. I brought the pot to a boil and simmered till the beans were soft and tender.. while the simmering was going on I browned the ground beef and ground pork with a large onion, 3 stalks of celery and 1 green pepper.

when all was cooked I drained the beans and added the meat to the pot... added seasoning

I also added 3 cans of diced tomatoes juice in all... (next year these will be replaced by my home canned tomotoes)

I used dried beans in chili. I used to just use pinto beans but have found that it turns out a lot better if I mix the types of beans. This is just a basic guide to my recipe as I change it depending on what is in my cabinet and I taste test it throught the cooking process, if I think it needs more of something I add it. I have 6 kids and money is tight, all of the ingredients can be found at the 99 cent store which is a giant bonus!
This is my recipe:
1/2 stick butter
1 pound of pinto beans
1 pound of pink beans
1 pound red beans
2 tablespoons minced garlic (I get the pre minced in a jar)
1/2 an onion chopped ( My husband hates onions so I chop it finely and he doesn't notice)
4 good shakes of onion powder
4 good shakes of garlic powder
1/2 cup red chili powder (I use dark)
ground meat (pre cooked)
1 can stewed tomato
1/2 can tomato paste
1 splash Worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper to taste
Ground beef (how meaty do you want your chili?)
sometimes a little corn starch to thicken the juice.

1. Soak all of the beans 12-24 hours beforehand in a large bowl of water and sea salt. Drain it after the first 4 hours and refill with plain water.
2. Drain the beans and put them in a crockpot (ON high if you want them ready in about 4-5 hours, Low if you want them ready in about 8 hours, or when you get home from work) I prefer to cook them on low because the longer they cook the better it tastes. COVER them with about 1 1/2 inches of water, if you are home keep an eye on them as you will need to add liquid through out the cooking process or if you work then dump all the liquid in and hope for the best, so far that has worked for me.
3. Add tomato paste, Worcestershire, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and some salt and pepper, stir and cover. LEAVE IT ALONE FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR, NO PEEKING!
4. Check your liquid level, you want the beans just covered, stir and you may want to taste a little of the juice and see if you need any more of the ingredients you already added.
5. melt butter in a pan, add onions, and cook almost completely, then add garlic. Add to crock pot (yes the butter too)
6. Cook the ground meat and season it like you are making tacos, I know sounds weird but it is good. Add to crock pot
7. About an hour before serving add the remaining ingredients INCLUDING THE STEWED TOMATOS and taste test. Does it need anything else? Hot sauce if you want it spicy?
Once the beans are soft and it tastes good, serve it up, I usually make honey jalapeno cornbread muffins with it. We top it with sour cream or shredded cheese. Now this will feed our family of 8 for at least 2-3 days! Good Luck and let me know what you think :)

I used dried beans in chili. I used to just use pinto beans but have found that it turns out a lot better if I mix the types of beans. This is just a basic guide to my recipe as I change it depending on what is in my cabinet and I taste test it throught the cooking process, if I think it needs more of something I add it. I have 6 kids and money is tight, all of the ingredients can be found at the 99 cent store which is a giant bonus!
This is my recipe:
1/2 stick butter
1 pound of pinto beans
1 pound of pink beans
1 pound red beans
2 tablespoons minced garlic (I get the pre minced in a jar)
1/2 an onion chopped ( My husband hates onions so I chop it finely and he doesn't notice)
4 good shakes of onion powder
4 good shakes of garlic powder
1/2 cup red chili powder (I use dark)
ground meat (pre cooked)
1 can stewed tomato
1/2 can tomato paste
1 splash Worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper to taste
Ground beef (how meaty do you want your chili?)
sometimes a little corn starch to thicken the juice.

1. Soak all of the beans 12-24 hours beforehand in a large bowl of water and sea salt. Drain it after the first 4 hours and refill with plain water.
2. Drain the beans and put them in a crockpot (ON high if you want them ready in about 4-5 hours, Low if you want them ready in about 8 hours, or when you get home from work) I prefer to cook them on low because the longer they cook the better it tastes. COVER them with about 1 1/2 inches of water, if you are home keep an eye on them as you will need to add liquid through out the cooking process or if you work then dump all the liquid in and hope for the best, so far that has worked for me.
3. Add tomato paste, Worcestershire, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and some salt and pepper, stir and cover. LEAVE IT ALONE FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR, NO PEEKING!
4. Check your liquid level, you want the beans just covered, stir and you may want to taste a little of the juice and see if you need any more of the ingredients you already added.
5. melt butter in a pan, add onions, and cook almost completely, then add garlic. Add to crock pot (yes the butter too)
6. Cook the ground meat and season it like you are making tacos, I know sounds weird but it is good. Add to crock pot
7. About an hour before serving add the remaining ingredients INCLUDING THE STEWED TOMATOS and taste test. Does it need anything else? Hot sauce if you want it spicy?
Once the beans are soft and it tastes good, serve it up, I usually make honey jalapeno cornbread muffins with it. We top it with sour cream or shredded cheese. Now this will feed our family of 8 for at least 2-3 days! Good Luck and let me know what you think :)
That's the best start to any recipe
gig.gif

I use dried white beans. Rinse, soaked over night, etc. Then I boil chicken breasts until cooked through. Save broth for soup! Tear chicken into bite sized piececs & add to beans & water. Chop an onion & a bunch of chopped chiles (your choice of chiles). Cook until tender. Add garlic, pepper, & a pinch of dried chicken broth (to taste). Mmmm good. Use the broth u made to make chicken noodle, chicken rice, or vegetable soup. You have 4 meals right there if you eat leftovers. Beans & soup always taste better the next day anyway!

Back
Top Bottom