Does anyone not deep litter method???

I've never done the deep litter method. I started with shavings which I'd replace once a week. But switched after several months to sand and will never go back.

But then I also only have a few chickens and live in CA where it's pretty mild in the winter. I like being able to scoop, scoop, scoop each morning and know that they are in a clean house laying eggs during the day and not inhaling ammonia fumes from all their droppings.

There are a lot of different ways to maintain a coop that work. I do want to mention that a deep litter coop should NOT smell like ammonia. If it does, you need to be doing something differently. Usually you only need to make simple changes, to fix it. I would encourage anyone that's having a problem managing their litter to post a separate message, to get help. I don't want to highjack this thread and turn it into a DLM thread.

I am not a fan of deep litter. I spread about 8 inches of pine shavings on the floor and I use a small stall fork to remove the clumps of manure (kind of like a modified kitty litter scooping). I have a droppings board under the roosts and I cover that with a thin layer of shavings and diatomaceous earth and scrape it off every morning with a wide scraper. My coop is 8X12 with 21 chickens and I only use a bag of shavings per month. This system only takes me 5 minutes each morning and my coop never smells
smile.png
I clean my coop to the bare walls, vacuum all the dust and repaint the roosts about every six months.

What is the deep litter method? We have had our chickens for around 7 months, so we are new to this.

I use pine shavings in a 8x4x4high coop. I have 11 chickens of which 1 is a rooster & change out the bedding around once ever 2 or 3 weeks. I then take the wood chips and compost them for my garden.

Cannot do it. I just cannot bring myself to let it go. I feel I must clean the whole coop anytime it has an odor. I am doing a full clean once a month right now and spot cleaning daily. That means I clean the droppings boards and any visible leavings.

I never liked seeing cattle standing in their own dung and do not want to do the same to my birds.

Just my thoughts on it.

I use hay inside the coop and clean it out every other weekend. I rake out all the dirty stuff into the wheel barrow, then sweep out anything else, and replace it with fresh hay
smile.png
The floor of the run has sand/round stone and pavers with dirt underneath that the girls love to dig under too! Easy clean up outside with a quick hose down while the birds are running around in the bushes. I haven't hosed out the run because we put it away so it didn't freeze, now the girls just kinda circulate the rocks by scratching around for birdseed! Hope this helps!

North Carolina here - hot in the summer, cold in the winter - wet all the time!! My hens free range from 8:00 - 5:00, and are only in the coop overnight. Even so, I scoop the droppings boards every day (they are covered in stall dri to reduce smell). The floor is covered with a thin layer of pine shavings and I pick every other day or so. Every three months, everything comes out and is swept and replaced. The attached run is our natural ground - solid rock with about 3 inches of dirt top layer.

Back
Top Bottom