Does anyone own a chinchilla on here?

I know they can't get wet. And yes, I'm aware of fur blowing too😂 I may get another if all goes well with her but 1 is all I can afford at the moment...and my cage is only big enough for 1 baby (it's a guinea pig cage.) Do they die easily? 😣 I'm asking by your experience...
The ones I helped cared for lived for multiple years and had no serious issues. They were commonly taken care by children volunteers. With plenty of space, dust baths, and good diet, you will likely have few issues.

There are always things that can happen with any animals. Bunnies can be very fragile as well, but they can live a long time too. Yet lots of people have them. If you want them, it will probably be ok knowing the risks.

The ones I helped cared for lived for multiple years and had no serious issues. They were commonly taken care by children volunteers. With plenty of space, dust baths, and good diet, you will likely have few issues.

There are always things that can happen with any animals. Bunnies can be very fragile as well, but they can live a long time too. Yet lots of people have them. If you want them, it will probably be ok knowing the risks.
I heard the average life span is like 18 years! According to your experience, is that information accurate?

That sounds long for a chinchilla, but that doesn't mean it is not possible. The oldest guinea pig is like 15 years, yet they usually don't live any where close to that on average. So it is probably not that common they live that long.
How long did the chinchillas you cared for live? Do you remember?

I have raised chichillas for about 5 years.
Also hand raised them from newborn when the mom didn’t have enough milk. They are very sweet little, gentle souls. They are skittish a bit like a squirrel in personality. They normally don’t like being held, being prey animals. You can train them to take a treat from you and one of mine loves being scratched behind the ears. When my daughter lost interest in them recently, we decided to sell all the ones we had and just kept one that was not breeding quality. He has the sweetest personality and he lives alone. Yes they are social creatures, but one can live quite nicely alone and as long as you give them plenty of attention, they will bond to you. You can always get one later if you want.
More room you can give them the better! I would not sell one that was younger than 12 weeks of age they need their mama that long in my opinion.
Our little “Charm“ otherwise known as little man, lives in a split level condo with multiple shelves and ledges, they love vertical space. They don’t do well in a guinea pig cage. Guinea pigs don’t mind horizontal, as they are not climbers. Chinchillas can jump several feet and the more spaces and nooks and crannies they have to hide in and explore the happier they are.
Here is a photo of the set up we have for Charm. This is the best cage for chinchillas in my opinion. Also those little plastic wheels they sell in the pet stores are useless. If you go on Etsy there are some folks that make the 16 inch wheels. Anything smaller and they can get chronic back problems from running on a wheel that is too small.
Should have no plastic surfaces whatsoever in their cage as they are chewers and will eat them and it can cause their digestion to fail and they can get an obstruction in their bowels. Yes they are more work than the average cat or dog in many ways but they are sweet creatures and we love the little guy that we have left!
With proper care and diet they can live to be 20 years of age. It is not unheard of.🥰
974509B0-F663-4703-8B10-355CE362403D.jpeg
F32EDBF7-B183-4124-AF6B-21110065FE96.jpeg

Also hand raised them from newborn when the mom didn’t have enough milk. They are very sweet little, gentle souls. They are skittish a bit like a squirrel in personality. They normally don’t like being held, being prey animals. You can train them to take a treat from you and one of mine loves being scratched behind the ears. When my daughter lost interest in them recently, we decided to sell all the ones we had and just kept one that was not breeding quality. He has the sweetest personality and he lives alone. Yes they are social creatures, but one can live quite nicely alone and as long as you give them plenty of attention, they will bond to you. You can always get one later if you want.
More room you can give them the better! I would not sell one that was younger than 12 weeks of age they need their mama that long in my opinion.
Our little “Charm“ otherwise known as little man, lives in a split level condo with multiple shelves and ledges, they love vertical space. They don’t do well in a guinea pig cage. Guinea pigs don’t mind horizontal, as they are not climbers. Chinchillas can jump several feet and the more spaces and nooks and crannies they have to hide in and explore the happier they are.
Here is a photo of the set up we have for Charm. This is the best cage for chinchillas in my opinion. Also those little plastic wheels they sell in the pet stores are useless. If you go on Etsy there are some folks that make the 16 inch wheels. Anything smaller and they can get chronic back problems from running on a wheel that is too small.
Should have no plastic surfaces whatsoever in their cage as they are chewers and will eat them and it can cause their digestion to fail and they can get an obstruction in their bowels. Yes they are more work than the average cat or dog in many ways but they are sweet creatures and we love the little guy that we have left!
With proper care and diet they can live to be 20 years of age. It is not unheard of.🥰View attachment 2525690View attachment 2525691
That's a great set up!!

With proper care and diet they can live to be 20 years of age. It is not unheard of.🥰View attachment 2525690View attachment 2525691
I need a cage like that! I currently can't afford one though I am planning to buy one a few months after adoption. You have a great setup! I can tell you love them alot!

I need a cage like that! I currently can't afford one though I am planning to buy one a few months after adoption. You have a great setup! I can tell you love them alot!
Thanks, yes they are not cheap. You can start with the bottom section and then get the top section if needed as an add on. 2-3 chinchillas can easily live in a cage this size. 😊

Thanks, yes they are not cheap. You can start with the bottom section and then get the top section if needed as an add on. 2-3 chinchillas can easily live in a cage this size. 😊
I have a cage that size for my mom's cat (he's moving in as she can't take him to her retirement home). He will only be in it at night because he pees on furniture. Long story.....

I'll totally give it to you if you live anywhere near me....

Back
Top Bottom