Does anyone store leaves for winter use in coop/run?

gtaus

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
This is my first year that I will have laying hens over winter. I have lots of leaves on my property and in the past have just dumped them on the garden. This fall I have been dumping lots of leaves into the chicken run and my girls are having great fun scratching through the piles. I am wondering if it makes sense to store some leaves for winter use, and if so, what would be the best storage method.

I have read some threads here on BYC forums, and they seem to prefer using those paper leaf bags. I can get them at my local Menard's store:

Menard's Leaf Bags.jpg

These paper leaf bags are less than $2.00 for a 5 pack. I was thinking that the paper leaf bags would be a better storage option than using plastic garbage bags or plastic garbage cans because paper will breath but plastic would not. But I don't know as I have never stored leaves before.

Is anyone using these paper leaf bags for storing leaves over winter? Do you fill the bags loose leaf, or can you pack them down to reduce the storage space requirements? Are there better options to consider (reusing feed bags?).

FYI, I have about 10 plastic garbage cans that could be used for storage and of course I have lots of plastic garbage bags. I am open to suggestions. Thanks.

I've been storing dried leaves for compost and chickens the past 2 years. I use paper lawn refuse bags like the ones in your photo, as well as paper feed bags (since I have them on hand) and some plastic coated feed bags as well, if I run out of the others.

You want the leaves to be as dry as possible before storing. I pack them very loosely in the bags to allow for air flow and leave the tops open. I store the bags in an unused small greenhouse (which isn't exactly watertight, so I put the bags up on any junk I have around just to elevate them) and I use up the leaves in plastic coated bags first, since I know those bags don't breathe as well. So far I haven't had any issue with mold or pests on the leaves, and they last me just fine until next fall rolls around.

I've been storing dried leaves for compost and chickens the past 2 years. I use paper lawn refuse bags like the ones in your photo, as well as paper feed bags (since I have them on hand) and some plastic coated feed bags as well, if I run out of the others.

You want the leaves to be as dry as possible before storing. I pack them very loosely in the bags to allow for air flow and leave the tops open. I store the bags in an unused small greenhouse (which isn't exactly watertight, so I put the bags up on any junk I have around just to elevate them) and I use up the leaves in plastic coated bags first, since I know those bags don't breathe as well. So far I haven't had any issue with mold or pests on the leaves, and they last me just fine until next fall rolls around.

Thanks for the response. I had not thought about leaving the tops of the leaf bags open. Makes sense. I think I will pick up some paper leaf bags and fill them up now while the leaves are mostly dry. Rain is in the forecast later this week.

Back
Top Bottom