Does anyone use a Chain-Link Dog Kennel / Run for chickens?

I used a 10' x 10' dog pen, covered the top with poultry netting and it worked great. I only have four hens, so it was more than enough space.

I used a chain link dog run with hard ware cloth along the bottom.

Keep in mind not all chain link dog runs are created equal and be sure to inspect them for quality.

I put bird netting on top of my chain link to keep out other birds.

chickenfence.jpg

I bought two panels and hooked them on to a dog run that was being given away when some folks were moving. Works great!

I also used a 10 x 10 with chicken wire top. I used chicken wire all around the bottom and secured the chain link to the poles with tie wraps. The tie wraps made it so much more secure.

House019.jpg

House020.jpg

Mine is wired on the floor and had it wired overhead, but realized the hard way that predators could still get through, so everyone goes in teh coop at night. Since then, I have also place clear corrugated panels overhead since the area does not drain well.

Last edited:
Yes, just be sure to lock them up in a coop at dusk. I've seen where raccoons have squeezed through between the panels. I would also do skirting around the bottom so nothing can dig in underneath and the hardware cloth partway up the side. I also saw a run where a hawk(!) had cornered the chicken and pulled it through the chain link.

Back
Top Bottom