Does anyone use a turner.....

saltandpepper

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
oh boy, i didn't know anything about turning the eggs before hatching or incubating. If I have a bunch of eggs that I have not turned or moved about for several days, will they still be ok to try and hatch?

Ridgerunner

Free Ranging
11 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
This article talks about storing and turning eggs for incubation. I think the whole article is a good read before you start to incubate. I often need refreshing.

Texas A&M Incubation site
http://gallus.tamu.edu/library/extpublications/b6092.pdf

I store my hatching eggs in the turner so I don't have to remember to turn them. I read about it on here from somebody that got the idea from somebody else's post on here.

Thanks for posting this idea. t has been a while since I have seen it mentioned.

WestKnollAmy

The Crazy Chicken Lady
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
upstate SC
I never used to turn my eggs before I set them and I still often do not if the tray is full but I set them only for myself.
Eggs that I sell to others I put in the turner to give them the best chance for hatching. Shipped eggs have enough problems.

I have left eggs setting on the buffet table for 4 weeks before putting in the incubator and they still hatched fine. No turning and no special storage. This turner just helps a bit and since it has a tiny motor and takes very little electricity I use it. Sometimes they are eggs for me to hatch and sometimes not but I have it so I use it.

Oh yeah, I also read where you were not supposed to handle eggs very much before setting them as the oils from your fingers will mess up the pores. I tried it both ways last summer as an experiment and my hands are pretty sweaty in the summer. Both batches did great. I used to worry a lot more but now only take those special precautions for eggs to be shipped to someone.

I was just throwing out this idea for others that may have a turner they were not using at the moment.

saltandpepper

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
thanks so much for this information and for the article to read . i'm very nervous and excited to try this. sounds so wonderful to read all the stories and see the pictures everyone posts about their eggs and little babies.

kennedyscochins

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2009
Big Clifty
Quote:This is great to hear! Whenever I have questions, I ask my mom. Her answer-"chicken eggs are very forgiving"! I remember that when I think I've messed something up!

Top Bottom