Does anyone use a turner.....

oh boy, i didn't know anything about turning the eggs before hatching or incubating. If I have a bunch of eggs that I have not turned or moved about for several days, will they still be ok to try and hatch?

This article talks about storing and turning eggs for incubation. I think the whole article is a good read before you start to incubate. I often need refreshing.

Texas A&M Incubation site
http://gallus.tamu.edu/library/extpublications/b6092.pdf

I store my hatching eggs in the turner so I don't have to remember to turn them. I read about it on here from somebody that got the idea from somebody else's post on here.

Thanks for posting this idea. t has been a while since I have seen it mentioned.

I never used to turn my eggs before I set them and I still often do not if the tray is full but I set them only for myself.
Eggs that I sell to others I put in the turner to give them the best chance for hatching. Shipped eggs have enough problems.

I have left eggs setting on the buffet table for 4 weeks before putting in the incubator and they still hatched fine. No turning and no special storage. This turner just helps a bit and since it has a tiny motor and takes very little electricity I use it. Sometimes they are eggs for me to hatch and sometimes not but I have it so I use it.

Oh yeah, I also read where you were not supposed to handle eggs very much before setting them as the oils from your fingers will mess up the pores. I tried it both ways last summer as an experiment and my hands are pretty sweaty in the summer. Both batches did great. I used to worry a lot more but now only take those special precautions for eggs to be shipped to someone.

I was just throwing out this idea for others that may have a turner they were not using at the moment.

thanks so much for this information and for the article to read . i'm very nervous and excited to try this. sounds so wonderful to read all the stories and see the pictures everyone posts about their eggs and little babies.

Quote:
This is great to hear! Whenever I have questions, I ask my mom. Her answer-"chicken eggs are very forgiving"! I remember that when I think I've messed something up!

Back
Top Bottom