Does anyone use Randall Burkey Organic Layer Feed?

KandJsmama

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
Enterprise (Las Vegas, NV)
I have about two months before I need to switch to layer feed but have started searching for a reasonably priced organic feed. Randall Burkey seems to have the best price, has anyone else tried it?

the only additives in the layer feed i get is lysine which last tiome i checked is just a mineral. the company i use is bryant grainand its just strictly texas grown grain straight from the panhandle

$1 per pound is high.

I just started using Purina Layena and paid $11 for 50# which will last me about 3 months for my 5 pullets.

But if you don't have many hens and don't mind the cost it's not an issue.

Of course many chicken feeds have "only" grain in them, but that is much different than organic. The grains in regular are GMO for the most part and have had at least herbicide on them and chemical fertilizer in the ground. Organic is certified to be GMO and chemical free. Now we can argue that with GMO seeds blowing pollen all over the place, that there are no GMO free grains in the good old USA, but that is another story. I fed organic for a while & really liked it, but with animal proteins missing from it, I switched to gamebird feed. In PA we have several organic feeds being produced. The Nature's Best I fed was $25.49 per 50 lbs., so much better than $1 a pound. I think Modesto Milling is in California, so that may be an option for you in Nevada. Have you called around to feed stores in your area to see if anyone carries organic? I didn't even know that the feed store I buy from carried it until about a year ago. Ask around and you may be surprised. Good luck.

Quote:
Our feed stores are weak in poultry supplies and heavy on horse items. My choices for a local purchase are Layena or the IFA Layer feed. Thanks so much for all the feedback
smile.png

I know what you mean, we are still a farm area, but everything is geared toward horses. The livestock section of our local merchandiser is all horses etc. I totally flip when I actually see chickens advertised. I am sure whatever you feed will be fine. My girls loved the organic, but they eat most anything!

I think most poultry feed is 16% and is meant to be fed without anything else. I prefer higher so the protein % doesn't get watered down with vegetable & other scraps. There is another thread on here that Purina Layena comes in 20% now in the west and some other parts of the country. Regular Layena is !6%.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom